TRUCKEE, Calif. — No one was hurt in a Saturday morning fire that broke out in a detached garage at 12710 Parker Road in Truckee, officials said.
Crews with the Truckee Fire Protection District responded to the fire at approximately 7:25 a.m. and found that neighbors had awoken the residents from the house and were attempting to extinguish the fire, according to a press release.
After putting out the blaze, fire crews deemed it as accidental. According to the press release, the day before, a resident of the home had stained doors and placed oily rags in a plastic trash can inside the garage.
Residents should dispose of oily rags properly by placing them in a metal container with a lid or in a bucket with water, or spread them out on a noncombustible surface to dry before disposing of them, officials said.
For more information on oily rags and spontaneous combustion, call Truckee Fire at 530-582-7853.