‘Captain Bucko’s Nauti-Words Handbook’ fires shot across the bow
September 16, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Brush up on your salty-dog lingo, matey, for Sept. 19 is International Talk Like A Pirate Day.
Are you a pollywog, beachcomber, buccaneer, shellback, or swashbuckler? Do you know the meaning of garboard, larboard, and lagan; or that common phrases like “a stitch in time saves nine,” “chewing the fat,” “in a couple of shakes,” “as the crow flies,” “feeling blue,” and “pooped” all have nautical origins?
Do you know it’s bad luck to whistle on board ship, begin voyages on Fridays; or let the cat out of the bag?
Do you think that “sally ship” refers to some waterfront floozy, or “beating the booby” involves mistreating a bird? Do you know the basic differences between scuttlebutt, geedunk, and lollywater? Do you not understand terms used by blowhards in yachting caps and T-shirts that read, “Captain,” and are you able to reply to them with anything that sounds slightly more nautical than “Arrrh”?
“Captain Bucko’s Nauti-Words Handbook,” by West Shore resident Roger Huff, fires a shot across the bow of humorless historians and sea snobs.
Captivating sea stories, rare photographs, practical information, and intriguing origins of more than 800 terms and everyday expressions are presented in a style that is interesting and fun to read even if you don’t know a halyard from a hawse pipe.
It is a prized addition to the sea bags and bookshelves of old salts and makes the perfect gift for any boater, maritime history buff, or nautical book collector.
For a previous article about Roger, click here.
Check out Roger’s other books at http://www.WriteAweigh.com or contact him on the latter about scheduling an entertaining, live presentation on “How To Talk Like a Pirate.”
So what exactly is a hoy, again?
Trending In: Entertainment
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Sierra Snapshots: Beautiful bobcats and starry skies (photo slideshow)
- Tahoe recipe: Fix-it-and-forget-it chicken ‘n dumplings
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- EXPLORE TAHOE: Before the snow flies, try some of these off-the-grid locations
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space