Flavor of Spain dinner to benefit Sierra Senior Services and Project MANA
September 5, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Project MANA and Sierra Senior Services will present “A Night of Food & Flamenco,” The Flavor of Spain, at Martis Camp’s Lookout Lodge, Sunday, Sept. 15, 4-7 p.m., benefiting Project MANA and the local Meals on Wheels program.
The evening includes paella by Sean King of Martis Camp, tapas and sangria, and dessert by Ron Allen Catering. Performances will showcase Flamenco guitar by Milton Mérlos, David McLean on guitar, José Cortés, vocals; and dancers Clara Rodriguez and Kerensa DéMars.
Ticket cost is $100 and vailable at http://www.sierraseniors.org and by calling 530-550-7600 or 775-298-0008.
Sierra Senior Services feeds and supports seniors in the North Lake Tahoe and Truckee communities. According to the website, http://www.sierraseniors.org, the organization’s mission is for all seniors in the community to have access to nutritious meals, social opportunities, and health and wellness programs.
SSS serves meals to seniors age 60 and over, and residents of the Truckee Donner Senior Apartments, totaling 24,000 annually. The Meals on Wheels program, a home meal delivery service for home-bound or seniors with medical conditions, recently began service to Incline Village, Nev. in addition to the Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas of Placer and Nevada Counties. Meals on Wheels volunteers are often the only visitor seniors see daily. Sources of funding include 30 percent from government; 50 percent from the community and 20 percent from foundations.
In addition to the exquisite Flavor of Spain Paella dinner, fundraising efforts include Truckee Bingo, the monthly pancake breakfast, Grape Stomp and private donor requests. The next pancake breakfast will be held Oct. 6, at the Truckee Donner Senion Apartments at 10040 Estates Drive in Truckee.
Since July of 1991, Project MANA has responded to the emergency food needs of individuals, families, and children in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee communities, according to information from http://www.projectmana.org. The organization provides emergency food relief, has developed community gardens, the Food Express to divert usable foods from disposal, nutrition education, the Thanksgiving Let’s Talk Turkey distribution and more.
Trending In: Entertainment
- EXPLORE TAHOE: Before the snow flies, try some of these off-the-grid locations
- Going Tahoe streaking: A look at the history behind some of the lake’s naturist-friendly beaches
- Sierra Snapshots: Beautiful blue Lake Tahoe from above (photo slideshow)
- Historic Downtown Truckee Arts and Crafts Festival set for this weekend
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports