Flavor of Spain dinner to benefit Sierra Senior Services and Project MANA
September 5, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Project MANA and Sierra Senior Services will present "A Night of Food & Flamenco," The Flavor of Spain, at Martis Camp's Lookout Lodge, Sunday, Sept. 15, 4-7 p.m., benefiting Project MANA and the local Meals on Wheels program.
The evening includes paella by Sean King of Martis Camp, tapas and sangria, and dessert by Ron Allen Catering. Performances will showcase Flamenco guitar by Milton Mérlos, David McLean on guitar, José Cortés, vocals; and dancers Clara Rodriguez and Kerensa DéMars.
Ticket cost is $100 and vailable at http://www.sierraseniors.org and by calling 530-550-7600 or 775-298-0008.
Sierra Senior Services feeds and supports seniors in the North Lake Tahoe and Truckee communities. According to the website, http://www.sierraseniors.org, the organization's mission is for all seniors in the community to have access to nutritious meals, social opportunities, and health and wellness programs.
SSS serves meals to seniors age 60 and over, and residents of the Truckee Donner Senior Apartments, totaling 24,000 annually. The Meals on Wheels program, a home meal delivery service for home-bound or seniors with medical conditions, recently began service to Incline Village, Nev. in addition to the Lake Tahoe and Truckee areas of Placer and Nevada Counties. Meals on Wheels volunteers are often the only visitor seniors see daily. Sources of funding include 30 percent from government; 50 percent from the community and 20 percent from foundations.
In addition to the exquisite Flavor of Spain Paella dinner, fundraising efforts include Truckee Bingo, the monthly pancake breakfast, Grape Stomp and private donor requests. The next pancake breakfast will be held Oct. 6, at the Truckee Donner Senion Apartments at 10040 Estates Drive in Truckee.
Since July of 1991, Project MANA has responded to the emergency food needs of individuals, families, and children in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee communities, according to information from http://www.projectmana.org. The organization provides emergency food relief, has developed community gardens, the Food Express to divert usable foods from disposal, nutrition education, the Thanksgiving Let's Talk Turkey distribution and more.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Dark Horse After Hours creates live music video series in Truckee
- Sierra Snapshots: Beautiful bobcats and starry skies (photo slideshow)
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- Ice skater Richard Kreibich: from Communist Europe to Truckee-Tahoe
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Creatures released into ‘Lake Tahoe’ go on killing spree in 2015 movie