Join Slow Food Lake Tahoe for Food Day celebration
Ryan Summerlin October 17, 2013
Food Day, observed each year on Oct. 24, is a grassroots event driven by local organizations across the country.
It is about bringing communities together to begin a genuine conversation about the way we produce, consume and think about food in this country, said Cheryl Schrady, a board member with Slow Food Lake Tahoe.
Residents are encouraged to observe Food Day on Thursday, Oct. 24, at a local tasting event at Coffeebar, located at 10120 Jibboom Street. From 7-9 p.m., Slow Food Lake Tahoe will host a local food tasting and viewing of the award-winning 2009 documentary “Ingredients.”
Before the screening, Truckee/Tahoe locals will have the opportunity to meet and eat from local, small-scale, producers within Slow Food’s food shed, as well as engage in a discussion about local food security, public health and sustainability in the region.
The event comes at a time when the “failings of our current industrialized food system are becoming all too clear,” Schrady said, and “the quality, taste and nutritional value of the food we eat has dropped sharply over the last 50 years.”
“We hope that by starting this important conversation, we can begin to spark meaningful change and reform to the food system in our local communities and on a national level,” Schrady said in a press release.
“Ingredients” illustrates how people around the country are working to revitalize that connection, according to the press release.
“Shipped from ever-greater distances, we have literally lost sight of where our food comes from and in the process we’ve lost a vital connection to our local community and to our health,” the press release states.
Slow Food Lake Tahoe’s mission is to reconnect people to the enjoyment of local, seasonal and sustainable food while educating the community about their vital role as participants in our food system.
To learn more, visit www.slowfoodlaketahoe.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Monet’s Table — Lake Tahoe lakeside picnic, art sale set for Saturday
- Lake Tahoe recipe: Chicken pasta salad lettuce wraps
- Sully movie review: Tom Hanks the right man for the job
- Historic Downtown Truckee Arts and Crafts Festival set for this weekend
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000
- Truckee, a sanctuary for runners, to host first-ever marathon this weekend
- North Tahoe PUD to work exclusively with Bay Area developer