Join Slow Food Lake Tahoe for Food Day celebration
October 17, 2013
Food Day, observed each year on Oct. 24, is a grassroots event driven by local organizations across the country.
It is about bringing communities together to begin a genuine conversation about the way we produce, consume and think about food in this country, said Cheryl Schrady, a board member with Slow Food Lake Tahoe.
Residents are encouraged to observe Food Day on Thursday, Oct. 24, at a local tasting event at Coffeebar, located at 10120 Jibboom Street. From 7-9 p.m., Slow Food Lake Tahoe will host a local food tasting and viewing of the award-winning 2009 documentary "Ingredients."
Before the screening, Truckee/Tahoe locals will have the opportunity to meet and eat from local, small-scale, producers within Slow Food's food shed, as well as engage in a discussion about local food security, public health and sustainability in the region.
The event comes at a time when the "failings of our current industrialized food system are becoming all too clear," Schrady said, and "the quality, taste and nutritional value of the food we eat has dropped sharply over the last 50 years."
"We hope that by starting this important conversation, we can begin to spark meaningful change and reform to the food system in our local communities and on a national level," Schrady said in a press release.
"Ingredients" illustrates how people around the country are working to revitalize that connection, according to the press release.
"Shipped from ever-greater distances, we have literally lost sight of where our food comes from and in the process we've lost a vital connection to our local community and to our health," the press release states.
Slow Food Lake Tahoe's mission is to reconnect people to the enjoyment of local, seasonal and sustainable food while educating the community about their vital role as participants in our food system.
To learn more, visit http://www.slowfoodlaketahoe.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe Top Five: Eateries share favorite recipes to re-create at home
- Hey dads: Loosen your golf grip for more distance
- Local kids to light up the stage for ‘Into the Woods Jr.’ theater production
- Explore Tahoe: Trails & Vista Art Hike, World Concert this weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage