Lake Tahoe Music Festival set to return in July
June 27, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE — The Lake Tahoe Music Festival is making a comeback.
Presenting four classical music concerts this summer, the festival will “return to its grassroots and will revitalize and reinvent tradition at Lake Tahoe,” according to a statement from the festival’s Board of Directors.
The festival folded in 2012 due to the growth and popularity of a pair of regional classical music organizations, in Toccata and the Lake Tahoe SummerFest.
When the Lake Tahoe Music Festival began in 1982, it exclusively presented classical music. It gradually added pop music, and in recent years only about 50 percent of its shows were classical. In 2011, it had three shows, each of them pop — Blues Traveler, Michael Bolton and Colbie Caillat — and held at the Village at Northstar.
According to the board, returning Music Director Timm Rolek has put together an Orchestra Academy for the 2013 shows, which includes a recognized soloist who will mentor 14 young professionals as they present four enchanting evenings of “Serenades at Sunset.”
Tickets are available at http://www.tahoemusic.org, or cash will be accepted at the gate. Gates open 5 p.m., and the concerts begin at 6:30 p.m.
Donations to support and continue the festival may be mailed to Lake Tahoe Music Festival, PO Box 7, Truckee, CA, 96160, or on the website. Interested volunteers may help by calling 530-388-8272.
Serenade at Sunset Concert Series
Tuesday, July 9: Truckee, private residence, 11195 Laurelwood Drive, Prosser Lakeview Estates. $50 per person. Featuring Janacek – Suite for Strings / Barber – Adagio / Sibelius – Romance /Bach – Concerto for 2 violins.
Wednesday, July 20: Outdoor concert at the West Shore Café. $20 per person, $30 per couple. Featuring Janacek – Suite for Strings / Barber – Adagio / Sibelius – Romance /Bach – Concerto for 2 violins.
Friday, July 12: Outdoor concert at Tahoe Tree Company. $20 per person, $30 per couple. Featuring Nielsen – Little Suite / Vaughn Williams – Violin Concerto / Dvorak – Serenade.
Saturday, July 13: Outdoor concert at Sugar Pine Point State Park. $20 per person, $30 per couple. Featuring Grieg – Two Pieces / Hovhanness – Prayer of St. Gregory / Hindemith – Trauermusik/ Tchiakovsky – Serenade.
Learn more by calling 530-583-3101 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Music
- Former Reno musician bringing boogie-woogie to Truckee
- Beloved Lake Tahoe musician Peter Joseph Burtt back in the groove 8 months after heart surgery (VIDEO)
- ‘80s cover band Tainted Love to reprise haunted role for 12th annual North Lake Tahoe Halloween bash
- ‘80s dance party at North Lake Tahoe Saturday night
- Elizabeth Pitcairn, her red violin to perform with Tahoe orchestra
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway