Simone Appetit: Pumpkin pancakes — they’re scary good
October 23, 2013
OK. You know I am not Carrie Bradshaw from the “Sex in the City” when I am writing about pancakes decorated with candy-corn. But they rock! You would give up you-know-what for these puppies.
The thing I like about these flapjacks is they are a recipe that transcends a holiday. Just take off the candy corn eyes, maybe substitute a couple of chocolate chips or raisins, and you have a great breakfast.
The kids will never leave for school. Now that, my friends, is scary.
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pumpkin puree (Buy it in the can. My kitchen and I so are over fresh pumpkin.)
2 tbls. vegetable oil
2 tbls. vinegar
2 cups flour
3 tbls. brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 /4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
maple syrup (for the grimace)
1 cup candy corn (for the eyes and nose and use leftovers in your egg-white omelet)
Using a large bowl, mix together milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Stir this dry mixture into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium/high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. I usually wait for the little bubbles to appear and then pop, before flipping. Brown on both sides, place of plates and decorate individually. Serve hot.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen “must-haves” and food news at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Tahoe recipe: Fix-it-and-forget-it chicken ‘n dumplings
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- EXPLORE TAHOE: Before the snow flies, try some of these off-the-grid locations
- Lake Tahoe recipe: Chicken pasta salad lettuce wraps
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump