Simone Appetit: Saint Patrick’s Day green key lime pie
March 12, 2014
Writing a column with a head cold is never a good idea. The good news, however, is you get kind of creative and it is Saint Patrick's Day, so I am thinking (barely) green.
Then comes to mind my very favorite green dessert — Key Lime Pie. This recipe has been in my family for generations and the dirty index card I am looking at right now is testament to it's popularity. Yuck. Messy cooks in my lineage. I feel better already, but will feel even better after I eat my photo.
Key Lime Pie
1 can Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
Prebaked graham cracker cust pie shell
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbls. rum
Mix together one can of Eagle brand sweetened condensed milk, lime juice and the beaten yolks of three eggs. Now fold in the well-beaten whites of the eggs. Place the mixture in your graham cracker pie shell, already baked, and cook for 10 minutes at 250 degrees.
When cool, place in refrigerator until ready to serve. When serving, top each piece of pie with slightly sweetened whipped cream to which has been added a little rum.
Simone Grandmain is an internationally published travel and food writer who currently calls Truckee-Tahoe home. She welcomes your recipes, kitchen "must-haves" and food news @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- Sierra Snapshots: Beautiful blue Lake Tahoe from above (photo slideshow)
- Tale of the Traveling Winemaker
- Your Tahoe Weekend: I-Did-A-Run dog race, Keb’ Mo’ and more
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues