Tahoe Food Hub and Dragonfly partner for farmer dinners
July 11, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Dragonfly Restaurant and Tahoe Food Hub announced the inaugural “Know Your Farmer Dinner Series,” on select dates throughout the summer.
Join Tahoe Food Hub at Dragonfly Restaurant and meet the farmers who grow our food. Chef Billy McCullough will create a four-course meal, paired with wine, using the seasonal produce of local farms. The series begins on Tuesday, July 16, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. and will continue with events in August and September. Each event will feature a different farmer sharing their story and their harvest.
The July 16 evening features Gary Romano, author of the recently published “Why I Farm: Risking it All for a Life on the Land.” His certified organic Sierra Valley Farms is located in Beckwourth, Calif.
The series continues on Aug. 13 with Pablo Wilkins, owner of Four Frog Farm, in Grass Valley. Pablo is a veteran market farmer growing a colorful and seasonal variety of vegetables. The final installment on Sept. 17, features Greg Weber of Greg’s Organics, Grass Valley. Greg is a former pro-mountain biker turned organic farmer who is recognized for his gourmet and heirloom tomatoes.
“Knowing our farmers reconnects us with our food. And knowing our food increases the value food has in the health of our bodies, the soil and the economy!” said Susie Stuphin, director of the Tahoe Food Hub. “Building a regional and equitable food system is the best way a community can support local agriculture, because it opens up new distribution outlets for small farms helping them diversify their business and feed our neighbors.”
Tahoe Food Hub is a nonprofit organization building a regional food system in North Lake Tahoe. Their plan is to increase the availability of nutritious, ecologically grown food, by connecting small farms within 100-miles of North Lake Tahoe to restaurants, small grocers, schools and hospitals. A portion of the proceeds from the “Know Your Farmer Series” will be donated to Tahoe Food Hub.
The cost is $42 per person, per event. For reservations call 530-587-0557 or visit http://www.tahoefoodhub.org for more information.
Dragonfly is located upstairs at 10118 Donner Pass Road, downtown Truckee. Visit http://www.dragonflycuisine.com or “like” them on Facebook.
Trending In: Entertainment
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Oktoberfest at Squaw, sunset kayak tour, bouldering comp & more!
- EXPLORE TAHOE: Before the snow flies, try some of these off-the-grid locations
- Tahoe recipe: Fix-it-and-forget-it chicken ‘n dumplings
- Birders, don’t despair: Winter birds are here at Lake Tahoe
- After 75 years on Lake Tahoe, historic Thunderbird yacht getting new engines
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Truckee Police Logs: Downtown fight leads to aggravated assault