Tahoe recipe: Creamy cauliflower soup makes for great comfort food
March 19, 2017
Enjoy a classic comfort meal with a healthy twist. While I always enjoy a loaded baked potato soup made with pureed potatoes, sour cream and cheddar cheese, I try my best to eat healthy by making modifications for a healthier meal.
This recipe uses cauliflower in place of potatoes and can easily be made dairy-free by using any milk alternative of your choosing. The cheddar cheese provides a tasty touch, but it is optional if you wish to make this recipe vegan. For an extra garnish you can add chopped green onions or crispy bacon for some added protein.
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Makes two to four servings.
2 heads cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
4 garlic cloves
1 white onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
6 ounce shredded cheddar cheese (reserve some for garnish)
½ cup milk (or dairy-free milk substitute)
Prepare the cauliflower by removing and discarding any leaves. Cut in half, then cut out the large stem, discard. Separate the florets, roughly chopping the florets and any remaining stem.
Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for five minutes. Add the garlic, cauliflower, salt, pepper and broth, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
Use an immersion blender, or transfer to a traditional blender, to puree the soup until smooth. Stir in the milk and cheddar cheese (after transferring back to the pot if needed). Taste for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper, as desired. Garnish with reserved, shredded cheese. Serve warm.
Chef Arica Davis is owner/operator of Yummy Fixins, Personal Chef Services and Pasta Parties. Visit http://www.yummyfixins.com to book your next dinner party.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: The Arts
- Your Tahoe Weekend: Tom Sims Retro event, Alibi beer tastings and more
- What to know about acclimating to Lake Tahoe’s higher elevations
- Truckee Healthy Now recipe: Smart Point banana pancakes
- Sierra Snapshots: Bodacious bobcats and sun-lit scenes (photo slideshow)
- Wine Ink: Decanting wine — the art of the pour
- What’s the story behind Truckee’s West River Street cottages?
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot of snow possible at high elevations Friday
- North Tahoe crime logs: Screwdriver-wielding man threatens retail shop staff
- Truckee Police Logs: 2 arrests in 2 days for meth possession
- Lake Tahoe weather: 10-20 inches of snow forecast by Wednesday up top