Ash can program supported by Ace Hardware
February 11, 2014
Due to overwhelming response to the Washoe County Ash Can Program and high number of participants, the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District recently partnered with Village Ace Hardware so the free program can continue.
To qualify, residents will need to have some type of wood-burning heating appliance to be considered, according to an NLTFPD press release.
To obtain a free can, residents may fill out an application, available at the Fire District Administration Office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village, and if the required criteria are met, one will be provided.
Inside each can, residents will find instructional flier on how to properly dispose of fireplace ashes; cans will be provided as they are available.
“January 19th marked the two-year anniversary of the Washoe Drive Fire, caused by improper disposal of fireplace ashes,” NLTFPD chief Mike Brown said in statement. “Remembering the devastation of the Washoe Drive Fire gives us an opportunity to remind folks that we are still in very dry conditions even with this recent snowfall, and we cannot be too cautious when it comes to fire safety.
The cans can be picked up at the NLTFPD admin office. Visit http://www.nltfpd.org for information.
Trending In: Announcements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway