Tahoe Flow Arts Studio brings play, dance, and yoga to town
September 11, 2013
TAHOE VISTA, Calif. — North Lake Tahoe got a little hipper with the opening of Tahoe Flow Arts Studio. Inspired by play, dance, and yoga, owner Kelly Smiley offers beginner to advanced classes in aerial fabrics, flow arts, and yoga.
"There was an emerging need for this type of community flow space in North Lake Tahoe and Truckee," explained Smiley. "Practicing artistic self expression in a non-competitive space was important to me, and offering classes for all levels to participate and learn promotes engagement and collaboration."
Aerial arts were introduced in the 1990s by popular traveling show Cirque du Soleil, becoming more mainstream in recent years. Combining acrobatics, the artistry of dance, and the exhilaration of height, classes are a great gym alternative, emphasizing core conditioning, technique, grace, and creativity.
Smiley focuses on the caliber of instruction. Within each class, there are layers of structure, safety, and progression. Her thoughtful approach is unparalleled — students leave feeling successful and eager to build on what they have learned.
Flow artistry classes vary from hula hooping, hip-hop, and juggling, where centering the mind and uplifting the spirit is at the forefront of each activity. For those looking to expand their physical, mental, and spiritual practices, Tahoe Flow Arts Studio offers an array of yoga classes, from Hatha and core fusion to Vinyasa flow.
"Circus performance has always intrigued me," said Smiley. "I love running my own studio because I am able to bring those elements to life and connect people of all ages and backgrounds. What better place to do so than in Lake Tahoe?"
Smiley also performs with Maidens of Movement and Big Top Tahoe, whose appreciation for the wildly flirtatious side of the circus comes alive in a fun, passionate form. Expect to see fire art, choreographed dance, fancy costumes, and magnetic entertainment, leaving audiences captivated and imaginations enlightened. Bookings for festivals and parties are available through the Tahoe Flow Arts Studio website.
Tahoe Flow Arts Studio offers both private and semi-private lessons; fall specials include $99 for one month of unlimited aerial fabrics, aerial conditioning, yoga, dance, and flow arts classes. First time students only. For more information call 530-546-2343 or visit http://www.tahoeflowartsstudio.com.
Tahoe Flow Arts Studio is located at 6921 North Lake Blvd., Ste. 211, in Tahoe Vista.
Trending In: Business
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Why does the town of Truckee not require business licenses?
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Tahoe-Truckee businesses impacted by storms may qualify for federal loans
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues