Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Celebrating your library’s BFF
October 19, 2016
This week, your North Lake Tahoe Libraries, along with the entire nation, will be celebrating our BFFs!
The most beloved library BFF (Best Friend Forever) are the Friends of Libraries, a group of dedicated volunteers whose sole mission is to raise money for each one of YOUR libraries.
In fact, most of the free programs that you enjoy at the libraries are funded by Friends groups. For instance, the Truckee Library’s Friends have been focusing on the need for a newer facility, and are a help in supporting children’s programming through book sales in the library and the annual Truckee Library mega-book sale.
The Friends of the Kings Beach Library’s goal is to support the library by contributing money to expand the collection, and drawing attention to all programming, host annual events such as: Chili Cook-off, SnowFest! Parade, 4th of July book sale, Yoga and Books, and more.
One last shout-out to the Friends of Washoe County Library, who sponsor countless performing arts programs, and STEAM activities and products. The grand total for the 2016 Friends of Washoe County Library allocation is $145,000. In 2015, Friends of Washoe County Library’s various Book Sales alone totaled $103,749.36!
Interested in joining or volunteering with a Friends of Libraries group and becoming the next BFF of the library? Stop by your local branch for information on how to become a member.
Oct. 21, 2-4 p.m. Lifescapes. Writing program where Seniors are given an opportunity to write and share their memoirs. New members always welcome!
Oct. 22 through Nov. 4. Early Voting times on certain days from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Please note there will be no voting on days the library is closed.
Oct. 20, 3-4 p.m. “Everything iPhone.” Join us as we learn to fully utilize all the cool iPhone features.
Oct. 25, 10:30-11 a.m. Preschool Story Time. “Halloween Fun” is our theme. Books, songs, and a craft.
Pumpkin Palooza is in full swing! Drop off your decorated (not carved) pumpkin for a chance to win fun prizes!
Oct. 20, 6-7 p.m. Medicare 101: Free Information on Health Care in Retirement. Financial adviser John Manocchio and health insurance specialist Cheryl Lombardi will discuss health care costs in retirement, navigating the health care system, and Medicare and its plans. Free event.
The Read Up! adult literacy program based at the Truckee Library is constantly in need of community volunteers interested in becoming literacy/ESL tutors. Please call Rolann at 530-575-7030 for more details.
Amanda Mongolo is Programs & Outreach Librarian for the Incline Village Library.
Trending In: Business
- Tahoe-Truckee shopping: Holiday gear gift ideas for women
- Tahoe casino gaming win dips in October; South Shore down 22 percent
- Truckee-based Squeeze In opens Vegas restaurant; 50 branches eyed by 2020
- Truckee-based Coffeebar to open 4th branch at Squaw Valley
- Alebrijes brings fusion of Mexican color, taste to Incline Village
- Details unclear after apparent crime at Truckee Bank of America
- ‘Ninja road stars’ piercing tires in South Lake Tahoe (photos)
- Reno real estate: A look back, and a look ahead at the housing market
- Truckee Police Logs: Man walks into store, nabs jacket, sunglasses
- E. coli, coliform bacteria found in Squaw Valley drinking water at upper mountain