DUI checkpoint planned Saturday in North Tahoe-Truckee area
August 14, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Law enforcement will conduct a drunken and drug-impaired driving checkpoint Saturday night at an undisclosed location in the Tahoe-Truckee area of Placer County.
Truckee-area California Highway Patrol officers, assisted by the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, will look for signs of alcohol or drug impairment among drivers passing through, according to a CHP news release.
The checkpoint will operate from 8 p.m. Saturday to 1 a.m. Sunday.
“The intent of a sobriety checkpoint is to educate the public of the dangers of driving while under the influence,” Capt. Timothy Malone, commander of the Truckee CHP office, said in a statement. “In these efforts, the CHP tries to persuade the public to make the safest decision possible during a night out … whether that be taking a taxi, designating a sober driver, taking TART or the Night Rider.”
Officers will strive to delay motorists only momentarily, officials said.
“Traffic volume permitting, all vehicles will be checked,” Malone said. “Our objective is to send a clear message … that mixing alcohol and/or drugs while driving will not be tolerated.”
Checkpoint funding is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Residents are always encouraged to call 9-1-1 if they see a drunken or impaired driver.
Trending In: Crime
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Incline Village crime logs: 7 DUI arrests in 2-week span
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Three Truckee teens arrested after months-long graffiti string
- Truckee Police Logs: Drunk woman walks into house to watch TV
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck