Man, 20, arrested in Tahoe City jewelry store heist
August 4, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A sheriff's deputy who was driving past a jewelry store in Tahoe City when he heard a window smash nabbed one of three suspects and recovered the stolen jewelry.
Placer County Detective Sgt. Dave Hunt says 20-year-old Michael Potter of Sacramento was arrested Thursday on suspicion of commercial burglary, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Hunt told Lake Tahoe News the deputy saw three men and a truck in an alley behind Bluestone Jewelry at 495 North Lake Blvd. just after he heard the window break about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Two fled on foot, and Potter drove off, but the deputy caught up with him near the River Ranch restaurant on Highway 89.
Detectives are investigating whether the break-in is related to a similar "smash and grab" at a jewelry store in South Lake Tahoe in April.
Trending In: Crime
- North Tahoe crime logs: Suspects hurl racial remarks at KB Uber driver
- Truckee Police logs: Police make six alcohol-related arrests in six days
- Evidence heard in April murder of woman near Truckee
- Truckee Police Logs: Motorist drives on train tracks, gets stuck in snow
- Tahoe woman gets jail for DUI (her fourth) with children in car
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered