Man, 20, arrested in Tahoe City jewelry store heist
August 4, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A sheriff's deputy who was driving past a jewelry store in Tahoe City when he heard a window smash nabbed one of three suspects and recovered the stolen jewelry.
Placer County Detective Sgt. Dave Hunt says 20-year-old Michael Potter of Sacramento was arrested Thursday on suspicion of commercial burglary, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Hunt told Lake Tahoe News the deputy saw three men and a truck in an alley behind Bluestone Jewelry at 495 North Lake Blvd. just after he heard the window break about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Two fled on foot, and Potter drove off, but the deputy caught up with him near the River Ranch restaurant on Highway 89.
Detectives are investigating whether the break-in is related to a similar "smash and grab" at a jewelry store in South Lake Tahoe in April.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Suspect in Nevada County jail death back in jail
- Report shows Lake Tahoe is a hot spot for sex trafficking
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Man sought for alleged commercial burglaries in Truckee
- Authorities seek help in identifying Incline Village burglary suspects
- Truckee police: Man allegedly drugged victim, raped her
- Business struggles to hire young people for skilled-worker jobs
- Thrill seekers land backflips into Lake Tahoe from 99-foot rope swing (video)
- Fernley’s game-winning touchdown drive upends Truckee comeback
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse