Man, 20, arrested in Tahoe City jewelry store heist
August 4, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A sheriff’s deputy who was driving past a jewelry store in Tahoe City when he heard a window smash nabbed one of three suspects and recovered the stolen jewelry.
Placer County Detective Sgt. Dave Hunt says 20-year-old Michael Potter of Sacramento was arrested Thursday on suspicion of commercial burglary, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Hunt told Lake Tahoe News the deputy saw three men and a truck in an alley behind Bluestone Jewelry at 495 North Lake Blvd. just after he heard the window break about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Two fled on foot, and Potter drove off, but the deputy caught up with him near the River Ranch restaurant on Highway 89.
Detectives are investigating whether the break-in is related to a similar “smash and grab” at a jewelry store in South Lake Tahoe in April.
Trending In: Crime
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Incline Village crime logs: 7 DUI arrests in 2-week span
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Three Truckee teens arrested after months-long graffiti string
- Truckee Police Logs: Drunk woman walks into house to watch TV
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: 6 inches of snow reported at high elevations Monday
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck