Man, 20, arrested in Tahoe City jewelry store heist
August 4, 2014
TAHOE CITY, Calif. — A sheriff's deputy who was driving past a jewelry store in Tahoe City when he heard a window smash nabbed one of three suspects and recovered the stolen jewelry.
Placer County Detective Sgt. Dave Hunt says 20-year-old Michael Potter of Sacramento was arrested Thursday on suspicion of commercial burglary, possession of stolen property and possession of a stolen vehicle.
Hunt told Lake Tahoe News the deputy saw three men and a truck in an alley behind Bluestone Jewelry at 495 North Lake Blvd. just after he heard the window break about 6 a.m. Thursday.
Two fled on foot, and Potter drove off, but the deputy caught up with him near the River Ranch restaurant on Highway 89.
Detectives are investigating whether the break-in is related to a similar "smash and grab" at a jewelry store in South Lake Tahoe in April.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- DUI arrest after routine traffic stop
- Report shows Lake Tahoe is a hot spot for sex trafficking
- Black bear mauls Northern California man; officials to kill animal once found
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?