Man booked on meth, cocaine charges following underage-drinking sting
March 18, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Police officers arrested a local man on suspicion of drug possession Saturday as part of a statewide underage-drinking sting.
The Truckee Police Department, Alcohol Beverage Control and Nevada County Sheriff's Office worked together during Saturday's "shoulder tap" operation in the Truckee area.
Roughly 40 people were contacted by minor decoys in front of licensed businesses and asked to purchase alcohol. Of those 40, two adults agreed to buy, and both were cited and released, according to police.
Additionally, one adult declined to buy alcohol, but asked if the minor wanted to buy narcotics. Later, an undercover officer contacted the subject, who agreed to an illegal drug transaction, according to police.
The subject — identified as 19-year-old Maverick Douglas Fitzgerald of Crystal Bay, Nev. — was arrested and found in possession of methamphetamine and cocaine packaged for sale, according to police.
The subject was booked on several drug charges in the Nevada County Jail in Truckee, where he was held on $35,000 bail.
Statewide, ABC agents officers from at least 109 police and sheriff's departments joined forces Saturday in what reportedly was the largest shoulder tap operation in state history.
It resulted in 522 arrests as of 10 p.m. Saturday, according to a news release from the South Lake Tahoe Police Department. Officers there arrested four people during Saturday's sting.
If arrested and convicted, the penalty for furnishing alcohol to a minor, a misdemeanor, is a minimum $1,000 fine and 24 hours of community service.
Labor costs associated with the operation were covered by statewide ABC grant.
Trending In: Crime
- Truckee Police Logs: Motorist drives on train tracks, gets stuck in snow
- Tahoe woman gets jail for DUI (her fourth) with children in car
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Evidence heard in April murder of woman near Truckee
- Incline Village crime logs: Narcotics arrest made in Crystal Bay
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Official: Fixing Tahoe transit key to limiting tension between locals, tourists
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage