$55 million renovation project well underway at Truckee High
August 8, 2017
Truckee High School's facelift is well underway, but by the time students and faculty returning this fall the upgrades will only be partially complete.
The $55 million Truckee High School renovation project involves major reconstruction of the 67-year-old campus, and is expected to be complete by December 2019.They started working in 2014, but it takes a few years to get things designed and permitted," said Tahoe Truckee Unified School District spokeswoman Kelli Twomey. "What we're seeing get built now is a new west wing that will house science and technology, and a new library."
The new, two-story classroom wing is intended to house the school's STEAM programs (science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics).
Renovations to the girls' locker room are also planned, as well as to the student gathering areas, the bus and student drop-off areas and the parking lot. The façade of the building will also be updated.
According to district documents, construction of the new classroom wing is expected to be completed in fall 2018. Construction of the new library, modernization of the main building, and renovations to the girls' locker room are anticipated to begin in spring 2018.
Twomey said that once the work is completely, the modular classrooms will be removed.
Recommended Stories For You
The funding comes from Measure U, which is a $114 million bond program voters narrowly passed in November 2014 for improvements to Truckee-area schools. It's counterpart, Measure E, was also passed at the same time to fund improvements at other district schools in the Lake Tahoe area.
Following the passage of the measures, a citizens oversight committee was formed in 2015 to oversee Measure U spending. A separate committee was created to review expenditure reports authorized through Measure E.
Amanda Rhoades is a news, environment and business reporter for the Sierra Sun. She can be reached at email@example.com or 530-550-2653. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @akrhoades.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Education
- $55 million renovation project well underway at Truckee High
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Health concerns when tending to Tahoe-Truckee backyard chickens
- Incline Elementary loses teachers, students amid district budget crisis
- Not headed to Oregon for the total eclipse? Here’s what to know about the eclipse in Lake Tahoe
- President Trump to address American Legion conference in Reno, Nevada, on Aug. 23
- Modern-day inland paddleboards owe their design and shape to the sport’s beginnings on Lake Tahoe
- Will Lake Tahoe casinos ever be smoke-free?
- Truckee High football team boasts young, talented players