Artists in Bloom student show at Truckee’s Dragonfly Restaurant
April 16, 2013
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Professionally displayed artwork created by local elementary school students from Truckee will be on sale to the public to help raise funds for the Artists in Residence program that Arts For the Schools (AFtS) provides as part of our local children’s education. The art shows will include selected mounted, matted and framed artwork featuring paintings, pastels and acrylics of colorful flora, springtime themes, bears, bluesman and more!
We are so grateful to have Dragonfly as our host for the past five years for this event. Owner Billy McCullough is a tremendous supporter of AFtS. In addition to this annual event he has provided a section of his restaurant as a permanent rotating display for student artwork for sale to the public.
The Artist-in-Residence program brings local professional artists, Nancy Tieken Lopez, Anke Hass and Cathee van Rossem St. Clair, into the classroom for third, fourth, and fifth grade students and at risk High School students. Funding for this program is made possible by Measure A.
Through creative art projects, the Artist-in-Residence program teaches our children about the importance of giving by allowing their masterpieces to be sold to support art programs in local schools. It also demonstrates how art can serve a social function in the world and can make a positive contribution to our youth and community. In addition to Artists in Residence, AFtS provides performing arts programs to local TTUSD and Incline Village schools.
“When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college — that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared back at me, incredulous, and said, ‘You mean they forget?’”
Funding for AFtS depends on grants and private donations. Your support makes it possible to offer art classes and dance/theater performances that enrich our children’s education. Please mark your calendar for the “Artists in Bloom” Student Art Show fundraisers and take home a masterpiece created by the talented youth of our community.
Dragonfly will host the Truckee Art Show on Tuesday, May 7 and feature a local’s special of 50% off dinner entrées and sushi the night of the show! Make sure you call Dragonfly at 587-0557 for reservations and bring your appetite with you to this great event!
For more information please visit http://www.artsfortheschools.org or contact Arts For the Schools at 582-8278.
We look forward to seeing you there!
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he [she] grows up.”
— Pablo Picasso
Founded in 1984 by Terry Yagura, Arts for the Schools sought to address the decline in arts programming in schools. The two primary programs of Arts for the Schools are: OnSTAGE, and Artist in Residence. Visit http://www.artsfortheschools.org.
Trending In: Education
- Emptied Van Norden Reservoir gives students unique research opportunity
- Squaw Valley Academy to open Bay Area campus
- Tahoe-Truckee Excellence in Education: 30 years of effecting change
- Give Back Tahoe: How unlike-minded people can change the world
- Guiding your grief: Tahoe’s Kim Bateman explores how we can keep loving a person who’s no longer there (VIDEO)
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- U.S. Ski Team’s Tim Jitloff, a Truckee native, talks life on and off the slopes