Kindred community rainbow igloo underway, ski/skate classes offered
February 10, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Now that winter weather is finally upon us it is time to start building the community rainbow igloos at Kindred Art and Folk Institute.
Start saving your paper milk cartons for ice block production; they can be dropped off at Kindred anytime at the community Arts Center in Truckee (please leave at back entrance in a labeled bag when studio is closed).
You may also make your own ice blocks and take them to the site. This will be an ongoing project and it will be happening now through the end of February. Production should take a month or less depending on how many people we have involved and with a little help from Mother Nature the igloo should last through March; so spread word and celebrate winter with Kindred.
Kindred is offering special full-day sessions for Ski/Skate Week, 10 a.m.-5 p.m., for students ages 5-14, at a cost of $45 per day. Discover art, cooking, holiday projects, music and more.
Monday, Feb. 17: Eco Savoy Pendants and Beads and Drumming with Laurie Martin of RhythmU. Plastic can be cool when you use it in a creative way. Students will work with shape, design and heat to create something that is truly a work of art. In the afternoon come together for an amazing drumming circle that is sure to reconnect.
Tuesday, Feb. 18: Upcycled Plastic Bag Material and Tote. No more plastic bags starting June 1 … time to find a new purpose that will have a positive impact on the environment. Students will learn how to create material out of old bags, use hand and machine sewing skills and come home with a new tote for your next trip to the market.
Wednesday, Feb. 19: History Treasure Hike, Trip to the Old Jail Museum and 2D Sculpture. History is all around and there are treasures to be found in Truckee. Students will investigate Truckee history, hike and explore, collect artifacts, help in the effort to clean up the creek and then create an amazing work of art.
Thursday, Feb. 20: Ice Skating, S’mores and more — it is Ski/Skate week and time to celebrate! Join a fun day of skating, coco, s’mores and igloo building.
Sessions include healthy snacks, students will need to take a water bottle for all sessions and a sack lunch for full-day sessions.
For more information and registration contact Kindred at 530-205-7336 or email email@example.com. Sign up at kindredtruckee.org. Space is limited and advance registration is required. Like Kindred on Facebook for the most up-to-date information.
Kindred Art and Folk Institute is located at the Community Art Center, 10046 Church St., Truckee.
Trending In: Education
- Tahoe-Truckee school admins recognized for leadership
- Incline Cub Scouts hold annual Pinewood Derby to great success
- Glass Half Full: Relishing the joys of a hand-written note
- Squaw Valley Community of Writers offers scholarships for locals
- Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Exploring the ‘deep web’ of the internet
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village
- Lake Tahoe has seen 138.65 billion gallons of water since October