One and done: Truckee High principal announces resignation
May 3, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Truckee High School Principal Greg Dettinger announced his resignation today after accepting a position as principal of a high school in the Midwest for the 2013-14 school year, officials said.
Dettinger’s resignation — effective the end of the 2012-13 school year in June — was announced to the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, students and parents at 7:30 a.m., a district spokesperson said.
According to a press release issued through TTUSD’s public relations firm, Switchback PR + Marketing, Dettinger “made this difficult decision based on the needs of his family and for personal reasons.”
“I came to Truckee High School fully committed to the welfare of its students, staff and community,” Dettinger said in a statement. “There are no second thoughts on my part regarding the extra hours I have put into supervising the curricular and co-curricular programs of this school.
“It was difficult to weigh the thought of leaving Truckee High School versus the responsibilities and obligations regarding my family.”
In mid-June 2012, the TTUSD Board of Trustees approved the appointment of Dettinger as THS principal.
In a statement Friday morning, TTUSD Superintendent Robert Leri said he understands the rationale behind Dettinger’s decision.
“Mr. Dettinger has had a significant impact during his short tenure, and has helped set the stage for his successor,” Leri said.
According to the press release, a recruitment process for a new principal is under way.
In addition, Grant Steunenberg, the school’s assistant principal, had previously announced his resignation to take a position elsewhere. The new principal, in collaboration with staff, will conduct the selection process for a new assistant principal.
Trending In: Education
- Give Back Tahoe: $384,000 to local projects that drive community impact
- Tahoe Truckee Unified School District implements culture of conservation
- Sierra Nevada College honors Truckee native Jason Paladino
- Squaw Valley Academy to open Bay Area campus
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump