One and done: Truckee High principal announces resignation
May 3, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Truckee High School Principal Greg Dettinger announced his resignation today after accepting a position as principal of a high school in the Midwest for the 2013-14 school year, officials said.
Dettinger’s resignation — effective the end of the 2012-13 school year in June — was announced to the Tahoe Truckee Unified School District, students and parents at 7:30 a.m., a district spokesperson said.
According to a press release issued through TTUSD’s public relations firm, Switchback PR + Marketing, Dettinger “made this difficult decision based on the needs of his family and for personal reasons.”
“I came to Truckee High School fully committed to the welfare of its students, staff and community,” Dettinger said in a statement. “There are no second thoughts on my part regarding the extra hours I have put into supervising the curricular and co-curricular programs of this school.
“It was difficult to weigh the thought of leaving Truckee High School versus the responsibilities and obligations regarding my family.”
In mid-June 2012, the TTUSD Board of Trustees approved the appointment of Dettinger as THS principal.
In a statement Friday morning, TTUSD Superintendent Robert Leri said he understands the rationale behind Dettinger’s decision.
“Mr. Dettinger has had a significant impact during his short tenure, and has helped set the stage for his successor,” Leri said.
According to the press release, a recruitment process for a new principal is under way.
In addition, Grant Steunenberg, the school’s assistant principal, had previously announced his resignation to take a position elsewhere. The new principal, in collaboration with staff, will conduct the selection process for a new assistant principal.
Trending In: Education
- Squaw Valley Community of Writers offers scholarships for locals
- Tahoe-Truckee Lib Loop: Exploring the ‘deep web’ of the internet
- Tahoe-Truckee school admins recognized for leadership
- Incline Cub Scouts hold annual Pinewood Derby to great success
- Principal’s Corner: What Lakers want you to know about North Tahoe High
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Lake Tahoe weather: Foot or more of snow possible Friday; then more rain
- It’s gonna be huge: Lake Tahoe ski resorts look to trump weather issues in time for busy Presidents Day weekend
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Bet your ‘glasses’ – first-of-its-kind wine bar debuts in Incline Village