Pre-college workshop next Tuesday at SNC
May 15, 2013
When I was going off to college at UCSB, I had an abundance of doubts and questions milling through my brain. “What is it like to have a roommate? What is there to do on campus other than studying, and how can I get involved in extracurricular activities? Will the selection in the dining halls be so terrible that I will starve to death, or worse, so unhealthy that I will gain the infamous ‘freshman fifteen’? Will I be instantly broke; how will I be able to manage my money? Will I be so stressed that I won’t be able to take care of myself?”
The list went on. I almost wish that I had had a mentor of sorts to guide me through this time of uncertainty. I wanted to make the most of my time there, but initially wasn’t really sure how to do so!
On Tuesday, May 21, IVGID Parks and Recreation’s Youth, Teen and Family Programs is initiating a new free program, a Pre-College Enrichment Workshop, which will benefit high school students who have been accepted into college.
IVGID Youth & Teen Programs is in partnership with Sierra Nevada College, Parasol Tahoe Community Foundation, Project MANA, Tahoe Family Solutions, Tahoe Safe Alliance, and AmeriCorps to bring you this exciting and informative workshop. A diverse group of specialists from the aforementioned community agencies will be providing helpful pointers for creating a successful and fulfilling college experience.
These guest speakers will discuss assorted topics including “Dorm Life 101” (with an SNC student!), basic budgeting, resume building, quick and healthy cooking for college students and making good decisions in the dining hall, resources to take advantage of in college (ie. Career Center, internships, work-study programs, gym membership, getting involved in extracurriculars, etc.), what parents can expect to feel with their kids going off to college, time management skills, and health and wellness during college.
Many of the speakers are current AmeriCorps members as part of the Parasol Tahoe Community Foundation Program. We encourage students and their parents to attend for the entire program, but participants are welcome to drop in and out as their schedules allow (you may contact Tara at 775-832-1326 for agenda details). This is an exciting opportunity that anyone who is looking towards college will take home something useful from!
The Pre-College Enrichment Workshop will be held on May 21 from 5:30-9:30 p.m. at the TERC Building at Sierra Nevada College, and food will be graciously donated by T’s Mesquite Rotisserie. The workshop will be fun and interactive, and participants will get to bring home materials that will help them in the years to come. Join us so that you can learn about how to optimize your unique college experience! Please RSVP to Tara at 775-832-1326 or email@example.com.
Tara Buffington is an Americorps Youth, Teen & Family Programs Coordinator for Incline Village Parks & Recreation.
Trending In: Education
- Emptied Van Norden Reservoir gives students unique research opportunity
- Sierra Nevada College honors Truckee native Jason Paladino
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Give Back Tahoe: Sierra Senior Services strives for senior success
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)