Squaw Valley Foundation supports student athletes, coaches
January 28, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif — In the summer of 2012, a group of Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley parents, joined by Squaw team management, partnered to form the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation (SAF).
Their mission is to help drive support for those who elect to participate on teams, who are gifted and/or need some financial assistance.
This season, with support from Squaw Valley and Euro Snack Inc. (SAF's first corporate supporter), they were able to extend scholarships to 23 Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows snow sports athletes and provided a seminar for coaches.
In future years, they look forward to supporting a greater number of athletes and opening up scholarship opportunities to coaches as well.
The 2013-2014 calendar includes:
October: First athlete scholarships awarded, equaling more than $25,000 in value, which was made possible by Squaw's generous granting of ski team waivers as well as SAF's fundraising efforts.
Recommended Stories For You
November: Sponsorship of Dr. Jim Taylor seminar by SAF at the Squaw-Alpine team coach training weekend.
December: Scholarship Day at Squaw Valley was held on Dec. 14.
Feb. 8: Après Ski and Snowboard Social.
March: Fun(d) Race.
Jonny Mosley, Tamara McKinney and JT Holmes signed on to be outreach ambassadors. The next wave of ambassadors will be announced at the Apres ski party, which just might turn into a snow dance, to be held in Squaw Valley Village on Feb. 8, 4-6 p.m.
"Squaw's heritage began at the 1960 Olympic Games. Throughout the past 54 years, there have been more than 50 locals from Squaw and Alpine on national teams competing in skiing, snowboarding, and freestyle events. The goal of the foundation is to support as many athletes as we can at every level," said an SAF Foundation Board Member.
For more information visit http://www.svamtf.org or write to The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation, P.O. Box 2194, Olympic Valley, CA 96146.
Contact Reem Saffouri at email@example.com or 925-788-7763 to discuss ways to help SAF catch air.
The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation is a California 501c3 non profit organization.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Education
- One elementary science teacher in Truckee was selected to study cutting-edge space exploration
- Sierra Nevada College in Incline Village cuts 6 faculty members
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Tahoe Expedition Academy names Mark Kushner as new CEO
- District names Andrew Yoxsimer as new Incline High principal
- Truckee police: Man allegedly drugged victim, raped her
- Business struggles to hire young people for skilled-worker jobs
- First snowfall of autumn in Truckee; Squaw Valley receives 3 inches (time lapse cam)
- Impending storm prompts closure of Sierra passes
- ‘Trimmigrants’ descend on Nevada County, for better or for worse