Squaw Valley Foundation supports student athletes, coaches
January 28, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif — In the summer of 2012, a group of Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley parents, joined by Squaw team management, partnered to form the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation (SAF).
Their mission is to help drive support for those who elect to participate on teams, who are gifted and/or need some financial assistance.
This season, with support from Squaw Valley and Euro Snack Inc. (SAF's first corporate supporter), they were able to extend scholarships to 23 Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows snow sports athletes and provided a seminar for coaches.
In future years, they look forward to supporting a greater number of athletes and opening up scholarship opportunities to coaches as well.
The 2013-2014 calendar includes:
October: First athlete scholarships awarded, equaling more than $25,000 in value, which was made possible by Squaw's generous granting of ski team waivers as well as SAF's fundraising efforts.
November: Sponsorship of Dr. Jim Taylor seminar by SAF at the Squaw-Alpine team coach training weekend.
December: Scholarship Day at Squaw Valley was held on Dec. 14.
Feb. 8: Après Ski and Snowboard Social.
March: Fun(d) Race.
Jonny Mosley, Tamara McKinney and JT Holmes signed on to be outreach ambassadors. The next wave of ambassadors will be announced at the Apres ski party, which just might turn into a snow dance, to be held in Squaw Valley Village on Feb. 8, 4-6 p.m.
"Squaw's heritage began at the 1960 Olympic Games. Throughout the past 54 years, there have been more than 50 locals from Squaw and Alpine on national teams competing in skiing, snowboarding, and freestyle events. The goal of the foundation is to support as many athletes as we can at every level," said an SAF Foundation Board Member.
For more information visit http://www.svamtf.org or write to The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation, P.O. Box 2194, Olympic Valley, CA 96146.
Contact Reem Saffouri at email@example.com or 925-788-7763 to discuss ways to help SAF catch air.
The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation is a California 501c3 non profit organization.
Trending In: Education
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- $114 million in upgrades begin at Truckee-area schools
- Giant flying foxes and other facts about Lake Tahoe bats
- Lip-synch fundraiser for Incline schools takes the stage this weekend
- More than 175 attend Lake Tahoe School Crystal Ball
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?
- Truckee’s craft beer scene exploded way back in 1876 with opening of the massive Boca Brewery
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe