Squaw Valley Foundation supports student athletes, coaches
January 28, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif — In the summer of 2012, a group of Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley parents, joined by Squaw team management, partnered to form the Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation (SAF).
Their mission is to help drive support for those who elect to participate on teams, who are gifted and/or need some financial assistance.
This season, with support from Squaw Valley and Euro Snack Inc. (SAF’s first corporate supporter), they were able to extend scholarships to 23 Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows snow sports athletes and provided a seminar for coaches.
In future years, they look forward to supporting a greater number of athletes and opening up scholarship opportunities to coaches as well.
The 2013-2014 calendar includes:
October: First athlete scholarships awarded, equaling more than $25,000 in value, which was made possible by Squaw’s generous granting of ski team waivers as well as SAF’s fundraising efforts.
November: Sponsorship of Dr. Jim Taylor seminar by SAF at the Squaw-Alpine team coach training weekend.
December: Scholarship Day at Squaw Valley was held on Dec. 14.
Feb. 8: Après Ski and Snowboard Social.
March: Fun(d) Race.
Jonny Mosley, Tamara McKinney and JT Holmes signed on to be outreach ambassadors. The next wave of ambassadors will be announced at the Apres ski party, which just might turn into a snow dance, to be held in Squaw Valley Village on Feb. 8, 4-6 p.m.
“Squaw’s heritage began at the 1960 Olympic Games. Throughout the past 54 years, there have been more than 50 locals from Squaw and Alpine on national teams competing in skiing, snowboarding, and freestyle events. The goal of the foundation is to support as many athletes as we can at every level,” said an SAF Foundation Board Member.
For more information visit http://www.svamtf.org or write to The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation, P.O. Box 2194, Olympic Valley, CA 96146.
Contact Reem Saffouri at firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-788-7763 to discuss ways to help SAF catch air.
The Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Foundation is a California 501c3 non profit organization.
Trending In: Education
- Give Back Tahoe: $384,000 to local projects that drive community impact
- Emptied Van Norden Reservoir gives students unique research opportunity
- Tahoe Truckee Unified School District implements culture of conservation
- Sierra Nevada College honors Truckee native Jason Paladino
- Tahoe’s Big Daddy: Memorial Fund expanding to include needs based scholarships
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space