Truckee and Glenshire Elementary meet on the track
June 10, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — This spring a new activity popped up at Truckee and Glenshire Elementary Schools — a track and field after school program for third through fifth-graders. After practicing once a week for nearly two months, students from both schools got together at the high school track on a windy Tuesday afternoon to compete.
Coaches Darrin Veliquette from Glenshire and Mike Pyle from Truckee each coached around 50 students. With the help of four assistant coaches and numerous volunteers, students competed in a variety of events including, 50m sprint and hurdles, 100m sprint and hurdles, 200m sprint and hurdles, 400m and 800m runs, as well as the 4x100m and 4x400m relays.
Field competitions included standing long jump, high jump and softball throw. Parent Sarah Purgason said, "The event was fun, very well organized and good to get the schools together. The kids were having a blast."
Trending In: Education
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Locals’ guide to Memorial Day in Tahoe: A light-hearted take on escaping the hustle and bustle
- How to safely cross the 72-mile ride around Lake Tahoe off your bucket list
- Nesting bald eagles cause temporary campground closure in Eldorado National Forest
- Will big winter impact water temperature for swimmers in Lake Tahoe?