Truckee students shine in honor band performance
January 24, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The California State Music Educators Association selected 91 students from 17 schools throughout its Northern California section to attend CMEA’s Junior High Honor Band in Colusa, Calif. on Jan. 17 and 18.
The students spent countless hours preparing for auditions, traveling to Colusa, practicing and performing. Truckee students selected from Alder Creek Middle School were Sierra Bohnet (flute), Juli-Anna Kaufman (flute), Avery Fournier (flute), Zarek Livak (trumpet), Jordy Guldman (trumpet) and Andrew Bechdolt (string bass).
These students worked diligently Friday and Saturday with the event’s accomplished guest conductor Jane Brown to study, enrich and perfect five pieces.
The concert was held in the historic Colusa Community Theater.
The performance delighted the audience with the lively “Light Cavalry March” composed by Franz von Suppe and arranged by Mark Williams, “Encanto” composed by Robert W. Smith, an amazingly vibrant presentation of “The Great Locomotive Chase” composed by Robert W. Smith that tells the story of a Civil War train chase, “Nearer My God To Thee” composed by Lowell Mason, and ended with a rousing march, “Torch of Liberty” by Karl King and arranged by James Swearington.
Trending In: Education
- Emptied Van Norden Reservoir gives students unique research opportunity
- Sierra Nevada College honors Truckee native Jason Paladino
- Truckee native, SNC Tahoe grad Jason Paladino uncovers truth of troubled Navy program in wake of Brian Collins’ death
- Give Back Tahoe: Sierra Senior Services strives for senior success
- Truckee Tahoe Ex in Ed honors donors, 2016-17 award winners
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens