$175K contract, sans bonus or vehicle allowance, OK’d for IVGID GM
February 19, 2014
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — IVGID officially has a new leader — one who will cost the district significantly less to employ.
In a 5-0 vote Wednesday, the Incline Village General Improvement District Board of Trustees OK'd a three-year general manager employment contract for Steven Pinkerton.
While the contract includes a base salary of $175,000, the total package with benefits is a $37,000 savings from the agreement for former General Manager Bill Horn, said IVGID board chairman Joe Wolfe.
Further, Pinkerton will make $60,000 less a year than his current salary and benefits package as Davis, Calif., city manager, Wolfe said.
"He wants to come here, this is something he wants to do," Wolfe said. "Remember this, too — in Davis, there's a police department he's responsible for, a fire department he's responsible for. He's no longer going to have those existing issues in Incline Village."
Below are highlights from the contract, which is valid from April 28, 2014, through April 27, 2017:
Recommended Stories For You
• Pinkerton's base salary equates to $14,583.33 in monthly earnings.
• IVGID will reimburse him $10,000 for moving expenses to relocate to Incline Village (he must establish residency by July 27, 2014).
• IVGID will contribute 12.3 percent of Pinkerton's income toward retirement benefits.
• Pinkerton must use his own vehicle; IVGID will reimburse work-related mileage per the federal standard rate (the previous contract granted a government-owned vehicle for work and personal use).
• Pinkerton is not eligible for bonuses (the previous contract included a potential annual bonus of $25,000).
Pinkerton met with Wolfe, trustee Jim Smith and IVGID legal counsel on Feb. 1 to negotiate the contract.
"It was crystal clear to Joe and I that he was here for the right reasons," Smith said Wednesday. "It's exciting for us to know we have this qualified of a leader and this professional of a person … who will be raising (his) children here, and he has to live with the decisions he makes."
Pinkerton has been with the city of Davis since Sept. 2011, when he signed a contract with a base salary of $188,000, a number that doesn't include benefits.