3 cited, 1 arrested in Truckee underage alcohol sting
September 24, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Three people were cited and another was arrested after they attempted to purchase alcohol for minors during a recent sting operation in Truckee, police said.
Truckee Police Department officers and Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies on Sept. 13 had decoys aged 18 to 20 attempt to purchase alcohol from businesses licensed by the California Department of Alcohol Beverage Control.
Officials also conducted a “Shoulder Tap” program, using decoys to ask people approaching businesses if they would buy alcohol, according to a TPD press release.
No retailers sold alcohol to the minors, police said. Additionally, two retailers would not sell to people trying to buy for minors during the Shoulder Tap program.
Sean Hollingsworth, Allison Roy and Eric Felipe were cited for providing alcohol to a minor during the Shoulder Tap program.
A fourth person, Cesar Nevaro-Berrelleza, was arrested on suspicion of providing alcohol to a minor and possession of narcotic paraphernalia.
Truckee Police also cited two individuals for possessing open containers of alcohol in the downtown area during the stings.
In the press release, Truckee Police congratulated Fast Lane (Highway 267), Beacon (Brockway and 267), 7-Eleven (Donner Pass Rd.) and Truckee Shell (Highway 89) for preventing sales to minors.
TPD Sgt. Robert Womack said the goal is not to “trick” sellers or people walking up to businesses, but to ensure people are complying with laws.
The program was funded through a Nevada County Alcohol Beverage Control grant.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Woman on vacation from Taiwan killed in Lake Tahoe wreck
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Pilot found dead in plane wreckage west of Lake Tahoe
- Tahoe skiing: Try these tips on how to train early and smart for winter sports