$400,000 OK’d for Kings Beach Community House
July 23, 2013
To learn more about the Kings Beach Community House or to make a donation, click here.
KINGS BEACH, Calif. — Completion of a one-stop shop for various community support services is within sight after the recent approval of $400,000 in local funding.
The $2.2 million Kings Beach Community House at 265 Bear St. will house satellite offices for Tahoe SAFE Alliance, North Tahoe Family Resource Center and Project MANA in an effort to create service integration and increase efficiency.
On Tuesday, the Placer County Board of Supervisors committed $400,000 in North Lake Tahoe Transient Occupancy Tax funds to the project, leaving $200,000 more to be raised.
“It’s incredible,” said Stacy Caldwell, CEO of the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation, which is raising funds for the project. “It’s going to really push us through to the final. … Placer County has been an incredible partner and supporter throughout this, and we really couldn’t have done it without them.”
The $400,000 is designated for use on the following project components:
Land and development costs for a 15-spot parking lot in downtown Kings Beach, which the public will be able to use in the evenings, weekends and holidays.
Construction of 300 feet of sidewalk near the intersection of Bear Street and Trout Avenue.
Exterior improvements to the former Lake Air Motel, which is being converted into the Community House.
Creation of public meeting space at the facility.
Community House construction is about two-thirds complete, said Phebe Bell, program officer for TTCF. Work is expected to be done in September.
All three service agencies are scheduled to move in by October 1, with additional space available for community organizations that provide complementary services.
“It’s really exciting to see this vision become a reality,” Bell said.
Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) funds are those generated by visitors staying in short-term area lodging accommodations.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Truckee football: Wolverines top South Tahoe 21-20 in Sierra Bowl
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway