44th Concours d’Elegance coming to Tahoe’s west shore
February 6, 2014
HOMEWOOD, Calif. — The Lake Tahoe Concours d’Elegance is coming to the West Shore.
The 44th annual classic wooden boat show will take place Aug. 8-9, 2014, at the marina at Obexer’s Boat Company in Homewood, event promoters announced last week.
“Lake Tahoe is synonymous with wooden boats,” Tahoe Yacht Club President Dave Olson said in a statement. “Our goal has always been to blend the history of these magnificent craft with the history of Tahoe, and what better venue than where they were first introduced to the lake.”
The Homewood marina, founded in 1911 by J.P. Obexer, is located about 6.5 miles south from Tahoe City and is the home of the first wooden boat dealership on Lake Tahoe.
Concours d’Elegance, founded by members of the Tahoe Yacht Club in 1972 and hosted by the club’s foundation since 1994, is regarded nationally as the premier event for maritime enthusiasts. It’s also become a major tourism attraction for the North Shore, drawing thousands of locals and visitors annually to the weekend event.
The event had taken place the past 20 years at Sierra Boat Company in Carnelian Bay on the North Shore. Contractual disagreements earlier this year, however, led to the show being put on hold until a new venue was found.
“We are also thrilled to bring the show to the Homewood community, also rich in history and home to the Tahoe Maritime Museum,” Olson said. “… Our partnership with Obexer’s will ensure that this will be the best show to date.”
Details about this summer’s show at Obexer’s will be released in the coming months, Olson said.
Learn more at http://www.laketahoeconcours.com.
Trending In: Local
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Opinion: Keeping Squaw ‘true’ may doom Squaw to failure
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump