A true American soul to funk up North Tahoe
August 21, 2013
If you go
What: Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires w/ The Mark Sexton Band
When: 9 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 27
Where: Crystal Bay Club Crown Room
Tickets: $20 in advance; $23 day of show
A legend of soul with a remarkable background of overcoming adversity is coming to North Lake Tahoe.
Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires headline a funky show coming Tuesday to the Crystal Bay Casino.
Most artists appreciate their audiences, just as many are grateful for them, but few artists love their fans as much and as sincerely as Charles Bradley.
“I want them to know how much they have helped me grow,” said Bradley on his website.
Bradley’s remarkable, against-all-odds rise has been well-documented, including how he transcended a bleak life on the streets and struggled through a series of ill-fitting jobs, most famously as a James Brown impersonator at Brooklyn clubs.
Much of that story, and more, is told in the documentary about him, “Soul of America,” which premiered at the Austin, Texas, festival South by Southwest in 2012.
He was eventually discovered by Gabriel Roth, co-founder of Daptone Records, according to press materials, where the Gainesville, Fla.,-native currently is signed, under the Dunham Records division. Bradley has released two albums — “No Time for Dreaming” in 2011 and “Victim of Love” in 2013.
Bradley’s music celebrates the feel of funk and soul music from the 1960s and 1970s, and his songs have frequently been sampled by hip hop artists, such as Jay-Z and Asher Roth, according to press materials.
Learn more about Bradley on Facebook, or at his official website at http://www.thecharlesbradley.com.
Joining Bradley and his band will be Reno-based The Mark Sexton Band. The Mark Sexton Band plays soul, R&B and reggae.
Led by Sexton, the band also features bassist Alex Korostinsky and drummer Dan Weiss, who have known each other since they were together in middle school and have played in the same band since high school.
Learn more at marksextonband.com.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)