After summer fire, Truckee lobster shack to reopen
January 15, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — After a summer fire shut its doors, Morgan's Lobster Shack & Fish Market will reopen next week, an owner said.
The official opening is scheduled for Friday, Jan. 17, with a possible soft opening on Jan. 15.
"We're definitely excited to get going again," said Shawn Whitney, co-owner of the restaurant and market with wife, Heather.
The new eatery was only open for about a month when a fire — ruled by the Truckee Fire Protection District as accidental — started in the restaurant's kitchen shortly before 1 a.m. on Aug. 2, 2013, causing heavy fire and smoke damage.
Everything inside the building at 10089 West River St. has since been replaced, Shawn said.
Making the recovery possible was a GoFundMe campaign established shortly after the fire, which raised $10,000 through 84 people in five months.
"It was amazing to have that kind of support from so many people," Shawn said. "… We wouldn't have been able to reopen without it."
One of the donations came from Jauquin's Personal Chef Services, which is owned and operated by Randy Anger of Carnelian Bay.
"We don't have good seafood departments here in Tahoe," said Anger, a market patron for his business. "They were a cool breath of fresh air, bringing good quality seafood at competitive prices."
The restaurant and market will continue to offer lobster, scallops, halibut, swordfish, salmon and shrimp, among other in-season East Coast-inspired seafood dishes.
It's the sort of menu adored by Judy Laverty, a Tahoe Donner resident who frequented the eatery at least once a week when it was open last summer.
"I am basically (a) pescatarian and love the fact that fresh, wild, sustainable fish and shellfish is finally available in Truckee," she said. "… (I'm) so happy they are opening again."
Morgan's Lobster Shack and Fish Market will be open 11:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday and 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Shawn said.
To learn more, visit the eatery on Facebook.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues