‘Altitude Adjustment’ humorous look at Truckee ski town life
August 7, 2014
When Emily Eddins and her family moved to Truckee to escape post 9/11 realities in Washington, D.C., they got more than they bargained for. Eddins reflects on their misguided dreams in a new collection of humorous essays about life in a small ski resort town.
For years, the author dreamed of leaving city life behind, until she learned the hard way the grass is not always greener in a resort town. After a series of athletic and social failures, she discovers living in a beautiful vacation spot is not the paradise she thought it would be. “Altitude Adjustment” describes social and athletic gaffes the couple never imagined before relocating to a winter wonderland.
They quickly realize being permanent vacation spot residents — even one as beautiful as Truckee — feels very different from being a visitor.
“Before you quit your job and put your house on the market, read ‘Altitude Adjustment,’ a cautionary tale about living out your fantasies,” said the author.
Eddins exposes her own weaknesses while shedding light on the locals’ peculiar and alien habits.
In “Will It Work Out?” the author worries her athletic inadequacies will make her a social pariah in a town of former Olympians. In “Gods and Whores,” she examines her addiction to strip malls and makes comparisons and contrasts between the quaint town of Truckee and its edgy neighbor, Reno, Nev. In the final essay, “Moving On,” after the author’s husband accepts a new job in Seattle, the author looks forward to returning to the urban rat race.
Author Emily Eddins has been published in a variety of literary publications including the Rio Grande Review, Front Porch and The Willow Review.
“Altitude Adjustment” is being sold at the Bookshelf, Mountain Hardware and The Carmel Gallery in Truckee; Mind Games in Squaw Valley; Geared for Games in the Boatworks Mall the visitor center in Tahoe City.
For additional information visit http://www.altitudeadjustmentbook.com.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Truckee football: Wolverines top South Tahoe 21-20 in Sierra Bowl
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway