Artisans Market Place welcomes two new faces
May 5, 2014
Charlene Simmons, who paints Tahoe area landscapes and portraits and Vita Popotita, who creates innovative jewelry from found objects and small, filled glass jars, have joined Artisans Market Place.
Located downtown on Donner Pass Road in the historic Titus Building, the gallery is an artists’ cooperative that has showcased local art for eight years.
Currentl, there are 18 artists offering a wide array of wares for sale including pottery, hand weaving, knitted, felted and hand-sewn wearables, fused and recycled glass, photography, jewelry, bells made out of recycled cylinders, birdhouses and wood work, watercolor and acrylic paintings, treasure boxes and chalkboards, handcrafted soaps and more.
Charlene’s acrylic paintings tell a story of a person or a place. Her portraits radiate personality and her landscapes show the beauty of Tahoe area’s natural environment even as it interacts with human activity.
She uses vibrant color and brush strokes to create an impression while striving for a realistic representation.
Her landscapes are framed while the portraits honor the tradition of the Aboriginal people of Australia who do not frame in their paintings, which they believe possess a living spirit. Charlene’s paintings are reasonably priced and ready to hang.
Vita’s jewelry makes creative use of found objects such as bottle tops, shells, buttons, painted leather and small filled glass bottles. Her earrings and necklaces will appeal to people who want to wear distinctive jewelry while purchasing at a reasonable price. She has created a striking display in Artisans Market Place, located at 10382 Donner Pass Road in Truckee.
For more information or store hours, call 530-587-2873.
Trending In: Local
- Cool cowboy: Longtime Tahoe trash service provider to retire soon
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- North Tahoe crime logs: ‘Slobbering’ man dislocates cop’s shoulder
- Poo problems: Tahoe Donner resident proposes solution for dog waste
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Jim Porter: Voting recommendations for November 8, part one (opinion)
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens