Artisans Market Place welcomes two new faces
May 5, 2014
Charlene Simmons, who paints Tahoe area landscapes and portraits and Vita Popotita, who creates innovative jewelry from found objects and small, filled glass jars, have joined Artisans Market Place.
Located downtown on Donner Pass Road in the historic Titus Building, the gallery is an artists' cooperative that has showcased local art for eight years.
Currentl, there are 18 artists offering a wide array of wares for sale including pottery, hand weaving, knitted, felted and hand-sewn wearables, fused and recycled glass, photography, jewelry, bells made out of recycled cylinders, birdhouses and wood work, watercolor and acrylic paintings, treasure boxes and chalkboards, handcrafted soaps and more.
Charlene's acrylic paintings tell a story of a person or a place. Her portraits radiate personality and her landscapes show the beauty of Tahoe area's natural environment even as it interacts with human activity.
She uses vibrant color and brush strokes to create an impression while striving for a realistic representation.
Her landscapes are framed while the portraits honor the tradition of the Aboriginal people of Australia who do not frame in their paintings, which they believe possess a living spirit. Charlene's paintings are reasonably priced and ready to hang.
Vita's jewelry makes creative use of found objects such as bottle tops, shells, buttons, painted leather and small filled glass bottles. Her earrings and necklaces will appeal to people who want to wear distinctive jewelry while purchasing at a reasonable price. She has created a striking display in Artisans Market Place, located at 10382 Donner Pass Road in Truckee.
For more information or store hours, call 530-587-2873.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Truckee joins North Tahoe, Incline with CERT volunteer groups
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues