Become comatose Saturday night at North Tahoe
August 21, 2013
If you go
What: The Brothers Comatose, w/ Jugtown Pirates
When: 9 p.m. Saturday
Where: Crystal Bay Casino Crown Room
After-party: Lonesome Locomotive, free in the Red Room
After a full day of bluegrass and American music at Squaw Valley’s Peaks & Paws festival — well, why not go for a some more?
The Brothers Comatose will play a free “Peaks & Paws Late Night” show at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Crystal Bay Club, joined by the Jugtown Pirates.
According to the band’s biography, Alex (banjo and vocals) and Ben Morrison (guitar and vocals) grew up in a house that was known for its music parties.
“The Morrison house was a gathering place for local musicians — everyone would bring an instrument, call out tunes, call out changes, and just play for hours,” said bassist Gio Benedetti. “I learned more in that living room than in any class I ever took.”
According to the band’s website, the brothers took this generous, inclusive and rowdy attitude and took it to stages all over San Francisco.
With the addition of members Philip Brezina (fiddle) and Ryan Avellone (mandolin), the string quintet brings their original string music and the feel of an intimate music party to audiences all across the United States.
The environment the band creates with their music and their live shows isn’t the exclusive band vs. crowd world of rock and pop, but rather the sing-along, stomp-along, inclusive world that gave birth to string band music.
The band — while playing festivals like Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, Strawberry, High Sierra, Outside Lands, Kate Wolf, and SXSW — has not lost sight of their roots, their fans and the relationships that have taken them where they are.
Learn more about The Brothers Comatose at http://www.thebrotherscomatose.com.
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens