Chief’s Corner: Washoe County ash can program
January 21, 2014
EDITOR’S NOTE: “Chief’s Corner” is a regular feature in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza from North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District Chief Mike Brown, offering information, tips and education material on fire safety, emergency preparedness and other pertinent topics.
As a follow up to last week’s Chief’s Corner column, we would like to let our residents know about a program that is available through Washoe County and the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District (TMFPD).
We all know fire knows no boundaries, and as such, we all work together as fire district’s to do everything we can to reduce the threat of fire both inside and outside of the home.
TMFPD and Carter Bros. Ace Hardware in Reno have partnered up to offer Washoe County residents a free ash can.
To obtain a free ash can, residents may fill out the application listed on the TMFPD website, http://www.washoecounty.us/tmfpd, and if the required criteria are met, an ash can will be provided.
Inside each ash can, residents will find instructional flyer on how to properly dispose of fireplace ashes. There are a limited number of ash cans available at this time, so they will be provided to qualifying residents on a first come, first serve basis.
Please note that residents will need to have some type of wood burning heating appliance to be considered for the program.
The ash cans can be picked up at the North Lake Tahoe Fire Protection District administration office, 866 Oriole Way, Incline Village, NV.
January 19th marked the two year anniversary of the Washoe Drive fire, caused by improper disposal of fireplace ashes.
Remembering the devastation of the Washoe Drive fire gives us an opportunity to remind folks that we are in very dry conditions, and we cannot be too cautious when it comes to fire safety.
This program is an excellent example of collaboration between local businesses, the fire service and Washoe County, helping our citizens help themselves. We all have a role, it takes a community.”
Trending In: Local
- Election 2016: Tahoe Forest Hospital District — read 2 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: To legalize marijuana in Nevada … or to not legalize?
- Election 2016: Truckee Tahoe Airport District — read 4 candidate statements
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people (4 locals) in vehicle burglary, theft cases
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Tahoe hiking: 6 must-see spots to enjoy autumn colors around the lake
- Beth Howard leaving Northstar; search for new GM underway
- Hungry like the Wolf: Renowned Tahoe chef pens book on history of Wolfdale’s restaurant, life in kitchens