Circles presentation to discuss local solutions for poverty
February 27, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Church of the Mountains in Truckee hopes to incorporate "Circles" to help fight poverty in the community. At the core of this successful model is the matching of middle class families or individuals with families or individuals living in marginal poverty.
Circles USA Mission is to inspire and equip families and communities to resolve poverty and thrive. Circles engages entire communities in owning the solution to poverty by mobilizing families to achieve economic stability through the long-term and consistent support of peers and volunteers.
The organization believes responsibility for both poverty and prosperity rests not only in the hands of individuals, but also with societies, institutions, and communities, according to information at http://www.circlesusa.org.
Currently, Church of the Mountains is at the evaluation stage, seeking broad community support for input and possibly further help down the road from nonprofits, government agencies, donors, churches and interested individuals.
Steve Shaw from the established Circles initiative in Carson City, Nev. will speak and answer questions on Friday, Feb. 28, at 6 p.m. and Saturday, March 1 at 10 a.m. at Church of the Mountains, in the downstairs living room at 10079 Church St. in Truckee.
Please contact Swenja Ziegler at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP and for more information.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues