Contract OK’d for next phase of Truckee River Legacy Trail
August 5, 2013
TRUCKEE, Calif. — Truckee Town Council voted unanimously on July 23 to award a contract to Campbell Construction for construction of Phase 3B of the Truckee River Legacy Trail.
Phase 3B will run between the Truckee River and Tahoe-Truckee Sanitation Agency Waste Water Treatment Plant to Glenshire Drive.
The Truckee Trails and Bikeways Master Plan, adopted in 2002, identifies the Truckee River Legacy Trail as a high priority trail, and when completed, will connect Donner Memorial State Park to Glenshire. Two more phases are planned.
"Truckee has the opportunity to build a world-class network of trails to connect our community," said Tony Lashbrook, Truckee town manager, in a statement. "The construction of Phase 3B of the Legacy Trail will provide a key connection from Glenshire to Downtown Truckee and is moving forward based upon the outstanding collaboration of several agencies and partners."
In November 2012, Phase 3B was awarded a $2.9 million California River Parkways Grant. That funding, along with other sources, is expected to cover the estimated $4.6 million construction cost.
Construction will include approximately 2.2 miles of bicycle/pedestrian trail along the Truckee River and is expected to be completed by fall 2014.
"We have been active advocates for Legacy Trail since the beginning," said Allison Pedley, Truckee Trails Foundation executive director, in a statement. "Thanks to the support of our members and funders, we have been able to help raise money for the trail and work with the Town of Truckee to get this trail built."
Upon completion, the Truckee River Legacy Trail will be about five miles long.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Truckee Chief’s Corner: Follow these tips to know if the ice is safe
- Still no cause of Homewood ski resort, Tahoe City Henrikson fires
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Crews to cut power for hour at Martis Camp, Schaffer’s Mill, other locations due to dangerous tree
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week