Covered California sign-up deadline extended until Tuesday
April 10, 2014
Some Californians now have until April 15 to complete applications with the state's health insurance marketplace.
Due to the technical difficulties experienced by Covered California as a result of a surge of last-minute attempts to sign up by the federal March 31 deadline, the deadline was extended for:
Individuals unable to create an online account or start their online application because of technical difficulties.
Individuals who created an online account and completed the first page of the application by the March 31 deadline.
Both have until 11:59 p.m. Tuesday to complete their application and select a health plan.
For coverage beginning May 1, and to avoid a tax penalty for lack of insurance, enrollees must also pay their premium by the payment deadline. Enrollees should check with their insurance companies for deadlines.
After April 15, private health insurance for 2014 can only be obtained through a special enrollment period if one has a life-changing event such as a job loss, birth or divorce.
Eligible adults without coverage in 2014 must pay either a $95 fee, or 1 percent of his or her income, whichever is higher.
To sign up or learn more, visit http://www.coveredca.com.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues