Faith Factor | Chabad Jewish Center to host Sassy Reuven
Ryan Summerlin August 7, 2014
On Sunday, Aug. 17 the Chabad Jewish Center of Lake Tahoe will host an inspiring evening with Sassy Reuven, a veteran of the Israel Defense Special Operation Forces, as he tells a fascinating story about the raid on Entebbe and hostage rescue.
The lecture will be held at 7:30 p.m., with VIP cocktails and hors d’oeuvres with Sassy Reuven at 6 p.m. at the Chabad Jewish Center, 1898 Venice Drive, South Lake Tahoe.
During the terror-filled years of 1973-1976 Sassy served in the IDF’s elite “Red Beret” paratrooper unit. He participated in several covert operations in Israel’s struggle against terrorism.
In July of 1976, Sassy participated in the famed Entebbe counter-terrorist hostage-rescue mission — code named “Operation Thunderbolt” — flying thousands of miles over enemy territory to rescue Jewish hostages being held by terrorists in Uganda.
A week earlier, on June 27, an Air France plane was hijacked by members of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and flown to Entebbe, the main airport of Uganda. More than 100 Israeli and Jewish passengers remained as hostages and were threatened with death.
Israeli transport planes carried 100 commandos over 2,500 miles (4,000 km) to Uganda for the night rescue operation. The operation lasted 90 minutes and 102 hostages were rescued. Five Israeli commandos were wounded and the unit commander Lt. Col. Yonatan Netanyahu was killed. All the hijackers, three hostages and 45 Ugandan soldiers were killed.
Sassy will share his personal experience, step-by-step, from the moment he was called to duty, including the mission preparation, landing in Uganda and completing the mission behind enemy lines.
His story is Israel’s story: of courage, endurance, optimism and a willingness to sacrifice it all for the right to live in freedom.
Limited seating available, RSVP required. Visit JewishTahoe.com or call 530-314-7677 to reserve your seat.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe alpinists look to conquer world’s 6th-tallest mountain in less than 7 days
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Farmer releases reference book for Tahoe-Truckee gardening
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- North Lake Tahoe Fire appoints Ryan Sommers as permanent chief
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe