Grab a bottle of basil for what ails you
July 10, 2014
I love the smell of fresh herbs being foraged.
Nothing is quite as uplifting and rejuvenating to my spirit as the scent of basil. This lovely herb is known for its culinary usage in Italian-inspired dishes. But there is oh so much more to the basil plant than pizza and pasta.
This particular herb has as many as 40 different varieties growing all over the world. Basil contains properties that are antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic, making for a powerful remedy.
You can use this essential oil to help relieve any congestion from the lungs/chest, prostate and ear canals. Apply a cotton ball with a few drops of basil essential oil onto the opening of a child’s ear for earaches or mild infections and you’ll notice instant relief.
Essential oil of basil is a strong muscle relaxant; apply a bit to your feet at the end of a long day for an unwinding ritual before bed. While you’re nodding off the oil will continue working as it aids your stomach in digestion, due to its antispasmodic qualities.
The oil works internally to detoxify the body by disinfecting the urinary tract and the veins/arteries. This oil also acts as a diuretic, encouraging the flow of excess water weight and aiding in dietary changes.
As the body eliminates toxic wastes, the mind will eliminate feelings of fear or anxiety with the help of basil essential oil. It makes for a fabulous postoperative potion in order to help the person come back into homeostasis. Furthermore, basil essential oil can help curb cravings for drugs, alcohol, sugar, tobacco or caffeine when a person is battling addiction.
The aroma of this essential oil alone is enough to revive someone from a down day almost immediately, and that is pretty powerful stuff!
Sarah McCallum is a massage therapist at North Lake Massage & Skin Care
Trending In: Local
- Opinion: Keeping Squaw ‘true’ may doom Squaw to failure
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Election 2016: Prop 64 would bring more than legal pot to California
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump