Grassroots movement aims to beautify Incline Village1
June 19, 2013
INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. — There is a grassroots movement under way to beautify Incline Village. Volunteers aim to plant and hang flower baskets in front of businesses in Incline Village, particularly along Tahoe Boulevard, as soon as possible.
Other long-term projects include planting easement areas along the streets of Incline Village. Here is how the flower basket project works:
My Charity Foundation, a local 501©3 nonprofit founded by Frank and Judy Spees in 2001 is spearheading the project with "seed" money from a private foundation.
Incline High School graduate John Patrick "J.P." Donovan, with an agricultural degree from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, is the point man. J.P. has secured baskets, flowers (with the generous help of Dan Yori and High Sierra Gardens), sphagnum moss and hooks, and has obtained the approval of Incline Village business owners.
Planting day is June 30, and if necessary, July 1 at 808 Northwood Blvd. in the driveways which are just above Alder on the left. At noon each day, any and all volunteers are invited to help either plant or deliver. My Charity Foundation can offer public service hours and refreshments to volunteers of all ages.
Business owners have agreed to water the plants throughout the summer. In the fall, baskets will be collected and stored until next year. The initial flower baskets will be paid for by My Charity Foundation.
If you would like to sponsor one of these baskets, a suggested tax deductible donation of $50 to $100 is suggested and you will receive community recognition. If you would like J.P. to prepare a flower basket for you to hang outside of your home a donation of $100 or more is suggested and your donation will be used for projects to beautify Incline Village.
Send your donation to My Charity Foundation, P.O. Box 3464, Incline Village, NV 89450, by June 30 to secure a basket. You may also bring your donation on the planting days and plant your own basket.
For information, call Judy Spees at 775-832-7006 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. My Charity Foundation's EIN number is 88-0512100.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues