Green Tara: The Female Buddha of Compassion
March 30, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — Lama Tsultrim Allione will be at the Cedar House Sport Hotel in Truckee on Wednesday, April 9, for a day-long teaching of Green Tara practice.
Green Tara is "The Female Buddha of Compassion," who provides protection from fears and obstacles. She sits with one foot in the meditative posture and one foot in the world, thus embodying active compassion and serving as a model for modern day contemplative life.
Green Tara is also "The Female Embodiment of Enlightenment."
Lama Tsultrim reminds us: "Tara is accessible to everyone, even those who have not received the teachings. She is simply present. The reemergence of Tara's energy, her feminine wisdom and her compassion are essential for the earth and all people right now."
"Tara is one of the most beloved of all Buddhist deities, and she has many different manifestations. She is known as Swift Tara because she always responds with immediate, compassionate action. Tara embodies that state of being in which wisdom, compassion, and activity are inseparable. She acts without thought; as soon as she sees the need for action, the knowledge of what must be done is instantaneously present, along with the infallible power to accomplish it," according to Freemantle, Francesca's "Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead."
Lama Tsultrim Allione is an author, internationally known Buddhist teacher, and founder of Tara Mandala Retreat Center. She is the author of "Women of Wisdom" and "Feeding Your Demons: Ancient Wisdom for Resolving Inner Conflict," which connects the knowledge of Tibetan Buddhism with modern life.
Pre-registration is required. Space is limited; registration on the day only allowed if space permits. This program will also be available by live streaming via the For Goodness Sake website, http://www.goodnesssake.org.
Upon completion of registration and payment, a link for the streaming program will be sent.
The sliding scale for this event is $75-120; no one will be turned away for lack of funds.
There will also be an opportunity to give dana to Lama Tsultrim.
Dana is an optional personal offering which supports the spiritual teachings. It is separate from the registration fee. The teacher donates time in service of the Dharma and receives only what student's offer. A suggested dana amount is $20-$45.
This event is cohosted by For Goodness Sake Truckee and the Truckee Tara Mandala Sangha.
Penelope Burton is a student of Lama Tsultrim Allione's, a member of the Truckee Tara Mandala Sangha, and has been deeply transformed by her practice of Green Tara meditation.
Trending In: Local
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- Truckee joins North Tahoe, Incline with CERT volunteer groups
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues