Grocery Outlet eying Truckee expansion
May 19, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — The discount grocery chain store Grocery Outlet is looking to expand to Truckee.
The proposal includes the construction of a 17,200-square-foot grocery store, a 7,000-square-foot retail/commercial building and parking on a 2.2-acre portion of property at 10040 Palisades Drive at the intersection of Brockway Road and Palisades Drive. The total parcel is 7.02 acres, with the remaining 4.82 acres left vacant and undeveloped.
Serving the project would be three driveways — two off Brockway and one off of Palisades, with construction of the Palisades driveway impacting 2,110 square feet of delineated wetland.
On Tuesday, the Truckee Town Council approved Sacramento-based ESA Land Management to prepare an Initial Study/Mitigated Negative Declaration document for the project.
Areas to be evaluated include aesthetics, biological resources, traffic, noise, land use and planning, and hydrology and water quality.
The cost to produce the document is not to exceed $26,738, which will be covered by the project proponent, Reynolds & Brown, a California-based commercial real estate development and management firm.
Preparation of the document is likely to start this month and be released for a 30-day comment period in July, said Jenna Endres, associate planner for the town of Truckee.
The project would need final approval by the Truckee Planning Commission, with August being the earliest the commission could review it.
If approved, construction wouldn't likely happen until May 1, 2015, said Drew Mickel, vice president of development for Reynolds & Brown. Construction is anticipated to take nine months, with a store opening in early 2016.
The town received this project application in early 2013, Endres said.
Headquartered in Berkeley, Calif., Grocery Outlet has more than 200 stores in Arizona, California, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Pennsylvania and Washington.
To learn more about Grocery Outlet, visit http://www.groceryoutlet.com.
Trending In: Local
- Truckee housing: Town OKs extra $100K to Artist Lofts loan
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Truckee joins North Tahoe, Incline with CERT volunteer groups
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Lake Tahoe weather: Floriston, Highway 89 areas still may be down until Saturday
- Officials may have to ‘spill’ excess water from Lake Tahoe
- Lake Tahoe weather: Progress being made on widespread power outages
- Lake Tahoe weather: Snow, rain, avalanches, mudslides and more possible this week
- Teen skiers mourned: two skiers killed in avalanche remembered