Idaho woman wins 2014 HGTV Dream Home contest
Ryan Summerlin March 20, 2014
TRUCKEE, Calif. — A Boise, Idaho, woman is the proud owner of the 2014 HGTV Dream Home in Schaffer’s Mill.
Laura Martin was notified Tuesday she won the 3,200-square-foot, three-bedroom, three-and-a-half bathroom house, beating out more than 72 million entries.
“I have been dreaming about winning the dream home for the last 2 months and yesterday that dream came true!” Martin said in a Wednesday statement.
Martin entered to win the house every day the contest was open (Dec. 27 and Feb. 14), she said, with her name randomly drawn on Feb. 26.
“I had looked at the house online everyday and taken the virtual tours of the house and the surrounding community,” Martin said. “The fact that the home was in the Schaffer’s Mill community with the golf course and the beautiful (town) nearby was what made us dream of trying to win the house we (she and her family) would want to grow old in.”
Nearby is historic downtown Truckee, the Truckee River and Lake Tahoe.
Described as “new mountain” architecture, the two-wing, open-floor plan house incorporates some modern touches with its traditional mountain design.
In addition to winning the fully furnished and custom-built home, Martin gets a new GMC vehicle and $250,000 in cash — a prize package valued at nearly $2 million. This marks the 18th HGTV Dream Home giveaway.
HGTV will air her win at 2 p.m. PST on April 11. To learn more, visit www.hgtv.com/dream-home.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- 3 adults rescued from Lake Tahoe after boat takes on water
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000