IVGID Tip: Choosing the right golf apparel
Ryan Summerlin August 20, 2014
Like any other sport, the popular styles for golf wear have changed over the years. From knickers and vests to the most outrageous patterns, golf has seen it all.
From technical fabrics to the basics, there are many choices out there. Here are a few things to consider when shopping for new golf wear:
Sun protection is key, especially when playing golf at higher elevations where the sun’s rays are stronger. Some brands are including Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) ratings on their clothing, similar to SPF ratings on sunscreen.
Ladies’ brands like San Soleil and Bette & Court carry stylish UPF rated sun shirts with mesh under the sleeves to help protect you from the sun and keep cool.
UPF fabrics have become so popular in golf apparel that many companies now make a majority of their styles with UPF ratings for both men and women.
A few years ago, cotton was severely squeezed out of the market by polyester and technical fabrics but there has been a recent resurgence in cotton golf wear.
Cotton polos have improved over the years to include performance cotton that’s more comfortable and breathable.
The classic companies like Bobby Jones and Carnoustie have weathered the storm and are still making traditional cotton as they have done for years.
The top brands are pushing the envelope in regards to a player’s comfort with superior fabrics made for better breathability and climate control.
Nike carries polos with laser cut perforations in the collar and Adidas has their new Climachill technology. Callaway’s new Opti-Series focuses on technology to keep you cool and ensure optimal range of motion.
Remember to try on golf wear to guarantee a good fit and make sure you don’t feel restricted. Move around, bend over, and simulate a full swing to test the length and make sure the shoulders aren’t too tight.
Try on these styles and many others at the Championship and Mountain Golf Course pro shops. Save big at the upcoming Labor Day weekend tent sale Aug. 29 through Sept. 1. Visit GolfIncine.com or call 775-832-1146 for more information.
“Tip of the week” is a weekly feature running in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, in partnership with the Incline Village General Improvement District, providing locals with various tips pertaining to the recreation opportunities and services the district provides. This tip was provided by Lauren Iida, Incline Village Golf Courses Merchandise Manager.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- 3 adults rescued from Lake Tahoe after boat takes on water
- Incline Village sheriff’s picnic sees good turnout in great weather
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Truckee football ices Elko Indians, 39-0; marks 3rd straight shutout
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- North Tahoe crime logs: Two rings stolen from jewelry store, valued at $15,000