IVGID Tip: Have fun — and be safe — at the beach
Ryan Summerlin July 1, 2014
It’s a holiday weekend, and everyone’s excited to celebrate at the lake. There are more people at the beaches on holiday weekends so plan ahead to ensure a fun and safe day.
Do your research. There are many beaches in Tahoe, but some are difficult to find, are private, or may have certain rules you should be aware of before you depart. Research online or stop by the Visitor’s Center for information on public beaches and any specific rules or amenities. Find out where it’s legal to park, if barbecues and pets are allowed, etc. Tahoe Fund has a free Tahoe Beaches app with information, maps, and photos. Visit TahoePublicBeaches.com or download from your app store.
Have a gameplan. Talk to your family about water safety. Tahoe water can be very cold just under the warm surface and risky for all ages. Set rules and have a designated meeting spot in case someone gets separated.
Be prepared for high altitude. Bring extra sunscreen, water, and shade or cover-ups since the sun’s UV rays are stronger here.
Skip the glass. Glass is not allowed at Tahoe beaches so bring your snacks and beverages in plastic, aluminum, or other alternative containers.
IVGID Beaches: Special Information and Tips
IVGID Beaches (Ski Beach, Incline Beach and Burnt Cedar Beach) are restricted access, only open to valid Beach Access IVGID Picture Pass holders and their guests, or valid Beach Access Punch Card holders. IVGID Beaches will be staffed until 10 p.m. on Friday, July 4.
Check your pass. Stop by the Recreation Center or call 775-832-1310 to confirm the status of your IVGID Picture Passes or Punch Cards. Punch Cards expire every Spring. Property owners or authorized agents can view valid Passes, renew Punch Cards, and check Punch Card balances online at InclineRecreation.com.
Take the Express Lane. There will be a special Express Lane on the July 4th weekend for people carrying their valid Beach Access IVGID Picture Pass or Daily Beach Pass.
Punch Card holders or IVGID Picture Pass holders with guests should enter through the main beach entrance.
Have a fun and safe holiday weekend at the beach!
“Tip of the week” is a weekly feature running in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, in partnership with the Incline Village General Improvement District, providing locals with various tips pertaining to the recreation opportunities and services the district provides. This tip was provided by the Incline Village Parks & Recreation Department. Visit InclineRecreation.com or call 775-832-1310.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Tahoe alpinists look to conquer world’s 6th-tallest mountain in less than 7 days
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- Farmer releases reference book for Tahoe-Truckee gardening
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe