IVGID tip: How to get ready for golf season
March 19, 2014
EDITOR'S NOTE: "Tip of the week" is a periodic feature running in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, in partnership with the Incline Village General Improvement District, providing locals with various tips pertaining to the recreation opportunities and services the district provides.
It's that time of the year where you can ski in the morning and hit balls in the afternoon.
Dust off those golf clubs that have been sitting in the garage all winter because the 2014 golf season is right around the corner. Start your golf season correctly by following these tips.
The first thing to work on is remembering the basics: grip, posture, alignment, and ball position.
Grip: Not too tight but not too soft with two knuckles of the left hand (left second finger knuckle and left third finger knuckle) showing at address.
Posture: Stick that rear end out and bend at the hip socket.
Alignment: Pick a target to hit at then set your alignment sticks or an extra golf club on the ground pointed at your target. This will help set your alignment and make sure ball position is perfect
• Position 1 — Lob wedge through 8 iron, in the middle to back.
• Position 2 — 7, 6, 5 irons, one ball forward of center
• Position 3 — 4 iron, hybrids and 3 wood, two balls forward of center.
• Position 4 — Driver, up off left toe.
When thinking about your golf swing, it all starts before the golf club moves. If these four things are not correct, you have little or no chance of hitting the ball the way you intend.
Want to practice these techniques? The Championship Course Driving Range is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., seven days a week. Range tokens can be purchased from the Championship Golf Shop or The Chateau front desk.
This tip was provided by Michael McCloskey, PGA Senior Head Golf Professional of the Championship Golf Course. Visit GolfIncline.com for more information about the Incline Village Championship and Mountain Golf Courses.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues
- Creatures released into ‘Lake Tahoe’ go on killing spree in 2015 movie