IVGID tip: How to marinade with tequila
July 28, 2014
Tequila is most commonly used in margaritas this time of year but this potent liquor can also add a nice kick of flavor to marinades for grilling.
Any tequila will work for this purpose so save your wallet and just get whatever is on sale. Tequila adds a smoky flavor to your marinade and adding citrus helps tenderize the meat and speed up the cooking process.
Try this flavorful Tequila Lime Marinade the next time you grill:
Tequila Lime Marinade
¼ cup lime juice
¼ cup canola/olive oil blend or vegetable oil
¼ cup fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno minced
¼ white onion minced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Wash your hands thoroughly. Mince the onion, jalapeno and garlic and add to small mixing bowl. Whisk in lime juice, tequila, vegetable oil, salt (to taste) and cilantro until evenly mixed.
Poor marinade over chicken, beef, pork or shrimp in a small container or resealable plastic bag and remove any excess air. Using a vacuum sealer really works well here. Marinade for 3-4 hours in the refrigerator.
Remove from refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to grilling. Grilling over charcoal is preferred because the charcoal adds another layer of smoky flavor to your meat but gas grills are convenient if you're short on time. Grill until cooked and enjoy!
If you're using shrimp it's best to use wood skewers to hold the shrimp together on the grill. Soak wood skewers in water for an hour to prevent burning.
Once marinated, line shrimp up on a cutting board and stick two skewers down the middle, then grill as directed.
"Tip of the week" is a weekly feature running in the North Lake Tahoe Bonanza, in partnership with the Incline Village General Improvement District, providing locals with various tips pertaining to the recreation opportunities and services the district provides. This tip was provided by William Vandenburg, executive chef for The Grille at The Chateau, Incline Village Golf Courses and Diamond Peak Ski Resort.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues