Keoki Flagg to unveil Antarctica images at ‘Colony’ reception
January 16, 2014
OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif.— Keoki Flagg will unveil a new masterpiece, "Colony," Saturday, Jan. 25, a special reception at Gallery Keoki in the Village in Squaw Valley.
In this time of mass proliferation of digital imagery, the value of original creative content is paramount. The way we interact with our space, push our limits, and take risks through natural immersion should define this era.
A story can be found in each moment, and as a fine art photographer, Keoki Flagg became a storyteller attempting to find, bare and explore the soul of his subjects.
In November 2013 with ICE AXE Expeditions in Antarctica, he found himself immersed in one of those moments.
Returning to a once familiar place, no matter how prosaic or exotic, and discovering how much has changed truly mirrors one's own evolution. It had been five years since Flagg visited: Nothing looked or felt the same.
He left the Zodiac and his extended family of adventurers behind and got lost in that moment. No longer transfixed by the penguins, he explored the extraordinary diverse world of lichen and moss on granite … for two hours nothing else existed.
Rather than documenting the moment in a single frame, Flagg shot with a 400 mm lens, zooming in on the most minute details; tunneling and finding original perspectives. He worked feverishly to capture as many exquisite slices of the "big picture" before being called back to the mother ship.
He knew instinctively the power and relevance of this moment in this place.
Uncertain of how all the pieces (more than 3,000 frames) would fit together, but confident of the full scope of the composition, "Colony" is composed of 40 close-up frames, allowing his creative idea to self define.
Practicing fine art photography for more than 25 years, Keoki continues to grow as an artist, continuously searching for original perspective and steadfastly striving to cross the boundary of predictability.
His works have won numerous national and international awards, he has been published in many high profile magazines like National Geographic Adventure, Men's Journal, Outside, Audubon, Vogue and Conde Nast Travel and Leisure, and he works on assignments, creating original, iconic imagery for Fortune 500 companies like VISA, General Electric, DuPont, Redbull and others.
Keoki is actively speaking for large groups around the country including TEDx and the Explores Club.
The reception will be held from 6 to 8 p.m., at Gallery Keoki, located in the Village at Squaw Valley at 1850 South Village Road, Olympic Valley. This event is family friendly and no RSVP is required.
Visit http://www.gallerykeoki.com or call 530-583-1404 for more information.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues