Kids Sew Cool gets crafty in Truckee
June 17, 2014
Kids Sew Cool is a summer sewing program for children ages 7 to 14, to be held at Sierra Expeditionary Learning School in Truckee, 9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.
A variety of different skills are taught as they make fun projects while learning a lifetime skill. Self esteem is greatly increased by accomplishments and end products, which range from tote bags to Teddy bears.
Beginning Sewing Camp will offered June 23-26. This camp teaches the parts and workings of the sewing machine and sewing techniques such as turning corners, curves and cutting properly. Projects include a tote bag, T-shirt, Teddy bear and quilt.
Recycled Sewing will be held July 7-10. Recycle potato chip bags, juice box containers, T-shirts, jeans an and more.
Animal Camp runs July 28-31. Penguins! Polar bears! Pillow pals, frogs and more.
Pocket Quilt will run Aug. 4-7. Learn basic quilting techniques: Strip piecing, constructing a four-patch quilt block and creating a charming pocket quilt for all your small animals and special items.
All fabric, notions and supplies are provided as well as a sewing machine for each child's use. Snacks are also provided during a break. There are no additional charges. The fee is $100 and scholarships are available.
Trending In: Local
- Sierra history: Top 5 snowiest winters ever for the Truckee-Tahoe region
- Tahoe nonprofit seeks to reduce stigma about wolfdogs, ensure owners know best way to care for them
- Tahoe ski resort avalanche victim ID’d as California man (updated)
- What’s the ‘word’ on downtown Truckee’s newest bookstore?
- Tahoe-Truckee storms: May take months to determine true cost of damage
- Male snowboarder, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Lake Tahoe skiing: Amid record snow, Squaw to stay open through July 4
- Lake Tahoe-area power outages almost completely restored (updates)
- Tahoe Top 5: What to keep in your car to ensure safety during winter storms
- Opinion: Truckee Town Council, police need to address traffic issues