Lake Tahoe Backcountry Demo Event to offer free demos, avalanche rescue class
January 10, 2014
TAHOE/TRUCKEE, Calif. — The Lake Tahoe Backcountry Demo Event for all things alpine touring, Telemark and split board, returns tomorrow.
Alpenglow Sports has once again partnered with Alpine Meadows Ski Resort to provide the 8th annual Backcountry Demo Event on Saturday, Jan. 11, 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
A community oriented leader in the backcountry industry for 30-plus years, the Tahoe City shop has worked hard to foster the backcountry demo event.
“With the mainstream popularization of backcountry skiing and riding over the last six to seven years, we felt there was a great opportunity to create a fun demo event,” said Alpenglow owner Brendan Madigan.
The event is held annually at Alpine Meadows Ski Resort, a destination known for popular hikes, great out-of-bounds terrain, and easy to access side-country. The 100 percent free Lake Tahoe Backcountry Demo Event provides a forum to perpetuate the enthusiasm for all aspects of in-area and backcountry skiing. Alpenglow welcomes all ages and abilities.
“It’s a really fun time to see backcountry enthusiasts come out and try a bunch of new equipment. There are lots of smiles at the end of the day, which is really why we do it,” added Alpenglow manager Jeff Dostie.
Participating vendors will include DPS, Dynafit, G3, Scarpa, NTN from Rottefella, Salomon, K2, Scott, Marker, Volkl, La Sportiva, Voile, Moment, Fly Low, Smith Optics, Jones Snowboards and more.
In addition to the opportunity to try more than 100 styles of skis, Alpenglow and Rich Meyer Alpine Guide will also provide a free, informal avalanche companion rescue class.
This companion rescue clinic will include beacon searches, strategic shoveling, and probing and will begin at 1 p.m. at the Alpenglow registration tent. Participants are encouraged try the latest beacon technology and refresh avalanche safety skills after having skied the hottest backcountry equipment around.
The event is free, but participants must possess a valid lift ticket or season pass purchased from Alpine Meadows or Squaw Valley USA, along with a driver’s license and credit card for deposit.
Registration for the event will occur on site at the Alpenglow Sports tent on Jan. 11.
Call 530-583-6917 for more information.
ABOUT ALPENGLOW SPORTS
Established in 1979, Alpenglow Sports is Lake Tahoe’s original mountain shop located at 415 North Lake Tahoe Blvd. in Tahoe City. Specializing in backcountry and Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, trail running, backpacking, hiking, camping, and mountain lifestyle apparel, Alpenglow is always psyched to offer premier, user-based customer service. Visit http://alpenglowsports.com.
Trending In: Local
- In walk across America, man spreads word on dangers of drug overdose
- Election 2016: IVGID Board of Trustees — read 6 candidate statements
- Truckee mulls free downtown shuttle for Xmas, New Year’s Eve holidays
- Opinion: Keeping Squaw ‘true’ may doom Squaw to failure
- Election 2016: NLTFPD Board of Directors — read 4 candidate statements
- Truckee Police arrest 5 people in vehicle burglary, theft cases (updated)
- North Tahoe Mellow Fellow closes after property’s foreclosure
- Squaw development: Little progress made on Attorney General’s concerns
- Lake Tahoe weather: More rain in forecast after recent 11 billion-gallon dump
- Lake Tahoe resort to open ski-in, ski-out coworking space