Local author publishes children’s book about Lake Tahoe
Ryan Summerlin August 8, 2014
“Gertrude’s Tahoe Adventures in Time,” a children’s book about the natural history of Lake Tahoe, was recently published.
With colorful and dramatic illustrations, the book tells the story of Gertrude, a Tahoe girl who meets a magic maiden. The maiden takes her on a fast-motion adventure through Lake Tahoe’s history. They watch glaciers march, volcanoes erupt and exotic animals graze while becoming forever friends.
Gertrude is authored by long-time Tahoe resident Tim Hauserman, who wrote “Tahoe Rim Trail: The official guide for hikers, mountain bikers and equestrians,” “Monsters in the Woods: Backpacking with Children” and “Cross-country skiing in the Sierra Nevada.”
Gertrude is illustrated by Jess Bechtelheimer, who worked hundreds of hours to create the paintings, which are the backdrop for the book.
“When I first saw the paintings, tears came to my eyes,” said Hauserman. “I felt so lucky she joined me in the project. The goal for the book is to give both children and adults a fun and accessible introduction to how Tahoe became the unbelievable place it is today.”
Bechtelheimer noted,“We found a way to celebrate and playfully immortalize this place that we love — for those who call it home and for those of us who can’t always be here and instead dream of Tahoe from afar.”
Hauserman and Bechtelheimer will be available to sign copies of Gertrude on:
Aug. 13, 6 p.m., Bookshelf in Truckee
Aug.14, 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Grassroots Books in Reno
Truckee Thursdays, 4-6 p..m, downtown Truckee
Aug. 15, 11 a.m.-1 p.m., Ruffles and Ruffnecks in Tahoe City
Aug. 16, 3-4:30 p.m., Sundance Books in Reno
It is available for purchase at The Bookshelf in Truckee; Ruffles and Ruffnecks, The Store and The North Lake Tahoe Visitor Center in Tahoe City; Tahoe Mountain Sports in Kings Beach; Sundance Books and Grass Roots Books in Reno, and online.
Trending In: Local
- NorCal man treks around Lake Tahoe, raises $100K for war vets
- Tahoe alpinists look to conquer world’s 6th-tallest mountain in less than 7 days
- Marijuana grow discussion in Nevada County delayed until after election
- Farmer releases reference book for Tahoe-Truckee gardening
- Fall reading picks: South Tahoe library provides selections for the season
- Motorcycle gang member fatally shot on I-80 near Truckee
- Nevada duo arrested in Truckee on theft, heroin possession charges
- Amid housing crisis, North Tahoe-Truckee real estate sales thrive
- Tensions still high over Lake Tahoe bear management on Nevada side
- Opinion: Placer County shows lack of commitment to Lake Tahoe